German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, while Rex was playing with another dog, they were running around and romping.

The area had grass and concrete. Was not hot. But tight turns and his weight caused the big middle paw to peel. Took him to vet who gave me some pills and lotion to clean. Said it was upper layer and it will heal in two weeks.

My question relates to the healing. Does all the skin needs to peel and regenerate or the one under can just blend in? The vet indicated that not all will go away before coming back. But I am confused. Can they actually fuse together? As waiting for all to peel etc will take a long time because the rest is solid and I am trying to take it easy so the remaining does not rip. Many thanks for your input.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
As it heals the new will blend with the old, it does not need to peel all the way. When my dog had an injured pad, I just sprayed the wound with Vetricin (which can be purchased online, or here in the US at a local feed store typically) and it healed up nicely. Just minimize his activity, particularly on rough or paved surfaces, for a bit to help the healing and he'll be fine!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts