German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 4-month-old GSD puppy. A week ago we started walking outside (after 3 rounds of the vaccination). I usually walk him for 1 hour and everything is good. Yesterday when we came back home I found that his paw pads are bleeding... He was pulling during that walk, can it be caused by that? I also noticed that his paws may be standing not right... Please see the photos. Does anybody know what can cause it? I was reading yesterday that it can also be hip dysplasia, but according to what I know none of his parents or their parents had it. Please advise... :crying::crying::crying:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Keep him off of the pavement.That's how his paws are getting scraped up.I'm no conformation expert,but he is cowhocked which will likely improve and straighten out somewhat over time.It may be the angle of the middle picture,but he appears to have poor muscle tone in his back end.Others with more experience will chime in,but what I would do is spend most of his exercise periods on grass and off leash if possible.If you can find a low hilly spot for him to wander up and down AT HIS OWN PACE that's good for building muscle in his back end.Clean his paws with Epsom Salt in warm water and pat dry when you get home.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
An hour is much too long at his age. I keep young dogs under a mile of planned walking. Off leash exercise where he can set his own pace is much better.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Yes, definitely quite severely cow hocked. That might explain why the raw spot is on one side of the pad only.

Walk him on grass until he heals up, then limit walking on pavement. I think you tried to do too much to soon. Paw pads do toughen up over time. My adult dogs frequently walk on pavement for an hour or more. Be aware that pavement can also burn a dog's paws if it's really hot. Put the back of your hand on the pavement -if it's too hot for your hand, it's too hot for your dog's paws!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
conditional problems -- the dog is young , his walks are too long --- he shouldn't be pulling like a draught horse , the timer for training leash manners is NOW
his feet have not been hardened - thin skin on the pads and you are walking him on a hard , hot sufface

that is like asking an office worker to pick up a shovel and do hard work -- those soft hands are going to get blisters and callluses.

conformational problems -- the feet are very flat and long toed . That is not going to improve . he will leaarn to accommodate a better foot strike --

he appears very , sorry , flimsy --- lacking tone and appearing very loose in the ligaments - which is why he is so cow hocked.

You're going to have to break in activity at a slower rate . At this time I would have the dog rumble aroud in the yard and maybe do a max or 5 minutes each way on soft but textured surface , especially with injured paws, which are a pain to heal if they get infected because they are in constant use

get some vetrycin on those paws

1 - 5 of 5 Posts