German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kylie apparently cut one of her paw pads open this evening. It isn't bleeding horribly and it is clean, but I'm not sure what to do for her.

I have some gentamicin sulfate from the last time my golden had a hot spot. Is that good to use on a paw pad injury? It says it's for bacterial infections of the skin.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
My dogs cut their paws every once and a while. I make sure it's clean (I usually smash some Neosporin in initially) then if it seems to be bothering them (limping? yelping?) I'll cover it for a few days.

I buy those large human bandaids to cover it (won't stick to the wound). Then cover the foot and up the leg a bit with the vet wrap. Then I cover all that with the waterproof white 'sticks strong' medical tape to make sure it stays even if the dog licks and walks on it.

3M Animal Care - Product Catalog for Veterinary Professionals, Trainers and Pet Owners in the Companion and Equine Marketplace:3M? Vetrap? Bandaging Tape

You can find similiar stuff for humans at the drug store..

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
BTW, when you first do this, there is a learning curve and you'll be amazed how much better you get. I just cover the foot/paw completely with everything (not too tight because the foot expands when it is stepped on) and then go up the ankle enough to where it narrows so that it stay on.

The bandage is really just to protect the open wound so it doesn't hurt the dog when they step on the ground/grass/stone. Kind of forms a bootie/shoe to PROTECT while the wound is open and raw. As soon as it's healed enough to not be open and raw then the dog is fine with no covering.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I just did this with Lisl last week. She cut her thumbpad above the wrist. It bled for almost two days before it stopped enough to leave the bandage off.

The Vet said I did the right thing.

She's almost back to her very active self and we're back to long walks, but taking it easy still on fetch.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What ended up happening was that she cut a flap on her pad and after about one week, that flap tore off.

It never got infected and the vet said not to put anything on it other than cleaning it off with water and possibly using soap if I absolutely needed to.

She said to leave it open to air as much as possible and use a baby sock over it with a plastic bag over that if it was wet outside (we haven't had rain in a while now).

It's healing up nicely, but she said it would probably take about 4 weeks to heal completely and to stay away from the dog park until then because that is the most likely place for her to get it infected.

I haven't needed to put anything on it. She mostly leaves it alone and only very occasionally licks at it for a minute. She hasn't limped on it at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts