German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I want to know if females are more patient than males. Years ago I had a male and he would chase a squirrel up a tree and leave a couple minutes later. My last dog (a female) would chase a squirrel and wait for literally an hour under a tree just looking for it. Now my newest pup Mia has not really chased any squirrels yet but ‘stay’ was super easy to teach her while she still struggles on other commands. So nothing really important that I need to know and don’t need advice on training cause she’s doing really well, just wanted to know if females are more patient than males. Is it just a coincidence that my females have seemed more patient? I was just sitting around and started thinking about it and thought I’d ask you guys.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
I'm not so sure that you are measuring patience by your example...persistence with squirrels might be more of a measure of prey drive and perhaps to some degree hunt drive as well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not so sure that you are measuring patience by your example...persistence with squirrels might be more of a measure of prey drive and perhaps to some degree hunt drive as well.
That was just an example. She also is pretty patient when a car is pulling up. Instead of running over immediately (like the male) she waits until it’s stopped, maybe she’s just not comfortable around moving vehicles but I can’t really be sure yet.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
My most patient GSD has been male. He was also the most mellow, sensitive and thoughtful of all my dogs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My most patient GSD has been male. He was also the most mellow, sensitive and thoughtful of all my dogs.
My male was also the most mellow, just not as patient (or high prey drive or whatever it is).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts