German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Who has watched this? What do you think?

My observations:
1. He already has a good recall on all three dogs and they knew enough not to jump off the 4 wheeler.
2. The “no name” is not a strange dog. He knows the dog and has probably trained it.
3. He is in a public park and skate park but both are deserted. He could not use the climbing and play equipment if children were playing on it.
4. There is no way I would wade hip deep into a stream in 30 degree weather.

·
Super Moderator
5,177 Posts
He has already established that he is a good person to hang around with and work with. He is setting a good example to the owners to relax and have some fun with their dogs, not just go to the park and turn them loose to run.
No Name is his personal dog. He set this trio up for success.
I play on equipment like that with my dogs, but I can't let them play unleashed since my recall isn't as strong as his (nor have I tested it in public). It was always a good time.

I didn't have litter mate syndrome but I did have a small issue with my gal-dog. When she was pup almost all of our outings were with both dogs. It got to a point where she was taking most of her environmental cues from our big-boy. I realized a bit later than I should, that she needed to learn to become more confident in her own discernment. I should have done more one-on-one adventures with her.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Regarding littermate syndrome, yes he is not having an issue with these two dogs together. But, (and I clicked a lot to go forward through the video so maybe I missed it) they are working in tandem. At any point does he have one off somewhere else while only working ONE of them? Because therein is where the problem often lies. They will often lose it when separated. If one is happy with two obedient pups working in tandem like this, well to each his own.

Furthermore, these are Labs. Different breeds with higher pack, prey, defense drive can be a whole nother ball of wax when they have LS.

Yes, this guy appears to be rocking it. But stuff like sticking together in a pack comes easily to a dog with LS. It's the being able to function as an individual when the mate is not present that is an issue. You often see separation anxiety or at the very least a lack of attention as they are visibly periodically scanning for their pal.

Being "doggy" may work ok for someone that wants to take a dog out hunting or playing in the park. But for most other things, being doggy is an undesirable trait.

I think it is irresponsible for any skilled person to make light of LS. Maybe HE can handle it, but all of the research points to the fact that it can be very problematic when it occurs in pet or working homes.

My two now- crating and rotating and controlled introductions to time together while the puppy was going through his bonding phase has paid off. They can be out together and playing, but if I get up and go they could care less if the other one fell in a ditch. They want to be the one whose turn it is to work with me. That is a MUCH more productive handler/dog relationship in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Definitely going to check out his stuff. I'm intrigued..but as often happens someone will have a true talent but their methods and stuff they get away with doesn't translate to the average person :)

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m laughing, I have watched many of his videos and completely missed that his dog‘s name is No Name.

He works a lot with Labs because his clients need their dogs well trained for hunting and other activities. That Is where most of his business seems to be. Hunters often have money for it but not time and they need absolute perfect recall and behaviors on their dogs so it’s common to send them for months at a time to board and train. Someone who posted here before trains hunting dogs and most of his business is long term board and care for both hunting and for trials and titling. So I understand that it’s not our breed. But he has shown other breeds including GSDS and Mals in other videos.

I doubt his dogs don’t learn to work alone. They have to if they are going to be successful going back to their owners. He has said he likes to train the owners too. I noticed the couple in the video did not get the same response from their own dogs as he did. I wish I was even close to as good a trainer as he is.

What exactly does he do to be more interesting to the dogs? I know he says he is because he’s more fun, but how does he teach that? I’m still missing something. I’m fun but my dogs aren’t as focused on me all the time as the ones he shows are to him.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definitely going to check out his stuff. I'm intrigued..but as often happens someone will have a true talent but their methods and stuff they get away with doesn't translate to the average person :)
I do that too. I watch each of his videos several times and still can’t translate from what he does to what I do. Or don’t do. I’m trying to break it down step by step. Part of my difficulty is that he often uses results in one video that he has already achieved before filming. Those dogs already had good recall. Perfect recall.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
We've not had any challenges specifically relating to litter mate syndrome with our girls, just the typical multi-dog house hold stuff, nothing consistent rules and training couldnt mitigate. Would we do it again, nope.....not because "litter mate syndrome" its more to do with my wife's preferences for coated black n red showlines and mine for smaller more athletic wash n wear dogs.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I’m laughing, I have watched many of his videos and completely missed that his dog‘s name is No Name.

He works a lot with Labs because his clients need their dogs well trained for hunting and other activities. That Is where most of his business seems to be. Hunters often have money for it but not time and they need absolute perfect recall and behaviors on their dogs so it’s common to send them for months at a time to board and train. Someone who posted here before trains hunting dogs and most of his business is long term board and care for both hunting and for trials and titling. So I understand that it’s not our breed. But he has shown other breeds including GSDS and Mals in other videos.

I doubt his dogs don’t learn to work alone. They have to if they are going to be successful going back to their owners. He has said he likes to train the owners too. I noticed the couple in the video did not get the same response from their own dogs as he did. I wish I was even close to as good a trainer as he is.

What exactly does he do to be more interesting to the dogs? I know he says he is because he’s more fun, but how does he teach that? I’m still missing something. I’m fun but my dogs aren’t as focused on me all the time as the ones he shows are to him.
Watch his many videos on Adventure training. Those will give you some ideas of what he does to make himself the center of attention.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts

Genuinely play like a kid without a care in the world and watch how your dogs react. People will sometimes do this at home, but clam up out in public, dogs see that too.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have a friend with natural dog charisma. It's wierd. My dogs are pretty neutral to people they don't know but they are front and center when she comes over with a ball or some other item they want to work for. It's weird. Like anything else in life it comes naturally to some people, and the rest of us have to watch and learn.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I got out of it his leadership, and charismatic personality. The dog owners were being led, without being aware of it. Dogs and people were following Stonnie, and having fun.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
He is very knowledgeable and also experienced. My threes dogs are not related and various different ages but are all highly competitive for my attention even my chihuahua. I like to take them all out all together but to me it’s important to to take them out individually to see so their true self can shine. Many dogs want to be in their owners lime light I would think and compete for that at least that has been my experience. When grouped together you can have their best traits play off each other. I think the challenge with litter mates would be more your own time and what you get to do with the pup individually. Having kids and it is the same with animals to me the invidual time is the most important and challenging- time wise at the same time this goal makes group outings more easier and convenient.

·
Super Moderator
5,177 Posts
someone on these forums wisely wrote that two pups means three times the work. You have to work each pup alone and then both pups together.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Another look at littermates.

Well here is my problem. Someone like this guy could certainly raise littermates and it will be fine.

Who buys littermates though? Most experienced dog people won't do that and many good breeders wouldn't sell lityermates together either. So that leaves totally uneducated pet people buying from sub par or backyard breeders getting 2 puppies so they can exercise, entertain and keep each other company. This type of pet person typically isn't going to do structured training and probably not even structured exercise daily. So the dogs become what they become.

And for that matter you can use your pack to train your new puppy just like he does in the video amd get the same benefit without having 2 puppies. My older dogs teach stuff to my puppies all the time and I utilize it on purpose. One being if I put an unknown pup in a group I know will come when called then my puppy just learned group recall and he will pretty definitely follow the group.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You would be surprised how many breeders will sell littermates. In our family, Grandma was well over 75 when she brought home two 8 week old sisters. She didn’t train them much but they did very well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts