German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
i am just looking for some morale support as I have a 8 1/2 week old puppy in the hospital with parvo. he seems to be a fighter but this has been a nightmare. i don't have time to get into the whole story now, but good words/ thoughts/ prayers/ stories would be helpful. His name is Garth Vader but we call him Vader or "Little Man". He is the sweetest handsomest little guy you have ever met and is an all black long coat (hence the name Vader after Darth Vader, but it was a G litter so we were playful!) I know we have some survivors (and not survivors) on the forum and would love some encouragement/ support... I feel so helpless! I've had a nightmare of a new year!

Sorry if this isn't in the right place, wasn't sure if this fit with puppies or health issues.

·
Super Moderator
32,430 Posts
Oh, no - I'm so sorry! No words of advice, but good luck. I remember you talking about maybe getting a puppy, didn't realize you found one.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I hope he comes through it. So sorry to hear your little guy is ill with this.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I had a Aussie who survived parvo. It wasn't an easy road, but it did have a great outcome. He was a bit older than your puppy, but it was caught early as well.

Garth will be in my thoughts and prayers!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your "little man". I have not had to deal with parvo so I cannot offer any advice, but I can and will keep you both in my prayers. Hope Garth Vader is back home soon. :)

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
What are they doing treatment-wise?

There are A LOT of parvo survivor dogs on this board. I think if you get them in quickly and they are getting IV fluids and antibiotic therapy then they have a very good chance of pulling through.

Sending many healing thoughts Vader's way and comfort to you!

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
My Rooney had parvo, we caught it within hours and it took him 5 days to get over. Vet gave him fluids and he was there the whole time. He had it at around 8 weeks and he's now a healthy 5 month old puppy. From what I learned about the disease there are different strains and each dog handles them differently. Thank god Rooney was a fighter. Keep us updated, I don't want to give you too much encouragement but each day is a victory. I think day 4 is the big one and if they make it past that they have a really good chance at survival. I'm no vet, but just saying that from experience. I know exactly what you're going through and I hope he makes it.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My last gsd, Omy, had it when she was a few weeks older than your boy even though she had been vaccinated. She was really really sick, I wasn't sure she was going to make it but she did and lived a long happy healthy 12 years. It wasn't an easy recuperation either, we had to feed her literally by hand and she looked horrible, like a little fur covered skeleton. But she made it and I hope your pup will too. Such a nasty disease. Be sure to wash everything with a bleach and water solution to kill the parvo in your house and on his things- it can live for years.

·
Registered
396 Posts
While I've seen rescues with it, I havent had any personal experience with it yet (Thankfully!!) .... but will be sending healing puppy thoughts and prayers your way!!! Good luck, and keep us informed! :hug:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I've had a busy year as I am working hard at work (for a promotion) so I have not been updating, but we did find a long coat male as we were looking for. We were chasing several options (as we wanted a long coat there was some wait-and-see with some specific litters we had our eyes on), but this little guy won our heart. I'll post a picture of him when I have more time (when I'm not at work!). Obviously we haven't even had him that long. The litter he came from got it... the ones still with the breeder had a very mild case over the weekend, and of the ones that went home, the 2 that flew had the worst of it (Vader being one of them, and actually the first to be diagnosed with parvo). We alerted the breeder immediately and she let everyone else know, so luckily the other pup was hospitalized right away and has already recovered.

Its a complicated story but we were not near our reg vet when he first got sick (Thurs night). At first we thought it was car sickness (we took a trip that was supposed to be short but ended up in horrible traffic). He was hospitalized on Fri (diagnosed, fluids, anti-nausea, anti-diah, steriods) and sent home to us with tons of med on Friday night. He looked good sat, but went downhill again on sunday. we decided to get him closer to our reg vet on sunday and got him in the nearby emergency vet. he has since been "transferred" to an internal medicine unit (same premises thank goodness) were he is remaining for an estimated 2-4 days (same medication except now he is on a antibiotic and i don't think they liked that he was on a steriod). They got him to stop vomiting and are still saying his prognosis is good. he never got bloody diarrhea.

Can you say rollercoaster?

Oh, no - I'm so sorry! No words of advice, but good luck. I remember you talking about maybe getting a puppy, didn't realize you found one.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Aw, Sarah, I'm so sorry. Prayers for your little man.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well he is still in the hospital but the vet said he turned a corner this morning. They are slowly reintroducing food. They said he did not vomit today or last night and still no blood in the diarrhea. He actually acted interested in food today but didn't eat. He is there for at least another day. Prayers would be appreciated. thanks for all your well wishes!!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By the way, here he is, the day between hospital visits when he was seemingly doing better...

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Sarah, He is adorable. I will be praying for the little guy.
Hugs,
Jan

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Oh what a sweetheart!! He's so adorable! When my Omy was so sick, the vet called and said I could come and take her outside on a leash for 15 mins. When she eventually came home he confessed that he thought that would be the last time I ever saw her alive- he really didn't think she would survive, but she did! Sounds like your little guy will come through it. In Omy's case, she relapsed about 6 wks later which apparently isn't that uncommon so it's something to keep in mind once he comes home. Best wishes for a full recovery!

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I've been down that road before, but mine did not have a happy ending. I hope your little guy pulls through and is perfectly fine! My black long coat girl sends some healthy puppy vibes to your boy!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
He is adorable. I'll continue to send healing thoughts his way! I hope he can come home soon.

And I hope the breeder is covering your vet bills!

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Wow, what a beginning for his puppy book. He is adorable, I'm glad he is mending.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts