German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took Tucker to get "chipped" this morning and a lady came out of an examining room and said that the puppy she was examining just tested positive for parvo and had everyone get their bleach bottles out and bleach the area where the puppy had been. Unfortuneatly, don't you know my husband and Tucker were sitting very close to the area they were bleaching down. We took Tucker outside and they came outside to chip him. We have Maggie and Daize at home so we have left our shoes outside, will bleach them and our floormats in the SUV....do we need to be worried about anything? Tucker just got his vaccinations this morning only about an hour before all this....his last vaccine was in May last year....he is 1 1/2 yrs...the girls are 1 year. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
With your adult dogs I wouldn't be to worried. I've been around parvo more then once and never have my dogs contracted the disease. I only bleached my shoes and changed cloths.
But I'd still carefully monitor the dogs for atleast a week for diarrhea etc.
I'm sure they'll be fine

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I just went thru all the vaccine records and I didn't realize how many parvo vacs they actually receive...looks like he had 4-5 in just a few months...I've only heard horror stories about parvo and how it can wipe out a litter of pups in a heartbeat. We don't have any now, but have a litter planned on Maggie's next heat...We'll keep a close eye on them...thanks.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Parvo is pretty scary. We have a lot of it around here and last year I was teaching an obedience class at a local park. Havoc was a brand new pup and I bleached shoes and floor mats after every class - just in case.

If your dogs are adults and fully vaccinated I would not worry just watch them.

Our vet tests puppies with symptoms consistent with Parvo in the owners car.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I think you are taking the appropriate precautions. Where I work, if someone calls and we feel the symptoms are consistent with parvo or kennel cough, we wait until they can go directly into a room - no sitting in the waiting area. That room is then closed to dogs the remainder of the day - even though we bleach it, vet and tech change clothes and bleach shoe bottoms. Also, if a cat comes in with an upper respiratory infection, that room is closed to cats the remainder of the day. You can never be too careful. Anyway, your gang are adults now, they had their puppy shots (usually 4 rounds after the age of 6 or 8 weeks) and possibly had their adult booster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts