German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently bought an igloo dog house off of craigslist for pretty cheap and the guy said it was never used before. Upon arriving home I looked inside the igloo and had some other dogs poop stuck to it. Probably my fault for not checking first :laugh2: but felt pretty irritated. Now I get pretty paranoid with these type of things because my eldest dog got parvo when he was a pup and I know how dangerous it could get. What is the most forsure way to kill of all those possible diseases off the dog house? I've heard clorox bleach would work but would that be instant, like right after cleaning it and letting it dry it's safe to give to my dogs?

One of them is 3 months and the other is 4 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
The ASPCA's shelter cleaning protocol for parvo recommends a 1:32 bleach solution AFTER removing organic material (= feces) because the material deactivates the bleach. Don't use a high pressure hose as it aerosolizes germs. I'd clean it on the concrete driveway, in the sun, then bleach the driveway.

Top Three Shelter Cleaning Tips | ASPCA Professional

Preventing and Managing Canine Parvovirus | ASPCA Professional

I'd probably bleach it twice, a few days apart, letting the bleach stand at least 10 minutes. I'm not sure I'd let the puppy in even then, but I'm paranoid about parvo.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts