German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Antibiotics are never indicated for viruses.
Parvo is about supportive care.
Supportive care means the care of those organs which are being effected by the virus like complete digestive system etc. So the antibiotics are used to minimize the effects of the virus. That's the supportive care. I don't what you are thinking the supportive care is. Anyways I believe that the Vet wouldn't lie about Parvo. You are just reading and he had observed. I don't know why you are strongly opposing that she has Parvo. I wish you were right. But Vet will never lie.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Supportive care means the care of those organs which are being effected by the virus like complete digestive system etc. So the antibiotics are used to minimize the effects of the virus. That's the supportive care. I don't what you are thinking the supportive care is. Anyways I believe that the Vet wouldn't lie about Parvo. You are just reading and he had observed. I don't know why you are strongly opposing that she has Parvo. I wish you were right. But Vet will never lie.
Understanding that vet care is different around the world I'm just going to try to expand on why some members seem to be giving some push back on the Parvo diagnosis. This is in no way implying your vet lied to you. In the USA and many other countries with more developed and readily available vet care Parvo is diagnosed with a laboratory test not simply by symptoms and observations. You haven't mentioned if your vet did such a test and thus I suspect that is why some question or have doubts about whether your pup truly has parvo.

I'm not a vet but have had a young dog (1978-80 ish ) contract parvo virus when it first started to appear in dogs. As has been mentioned the smell of the stool of a parvo infected pup/dog is something very distinctive and once you've smelled it you never forget it. And when they have diarrhea it is explosive. It is my understanding that parvo infected dogs do not eat (ours didn't for days). The GI/intestinal internal bleeding is painful and eating only makes it worse. Early on they usually vomit anything they try to eat as well. The gut is just to torn up to tolerate food. The fact that your pup has continued to eat (albeit a very limited diet) is contrary to the vast norm which again suggests that your pups illness would be something other than parvo.

What is supportive care with parvo? Usually forced hydration with balanced electrolytes either by IV, sub q injection or syringe feeding. In your case the pedialyte you are adding to your feedings. Anti nausea drugs and yes antibiotics to prevent septicimia.

A personal thought to something other than parvo that would have the same/simular symptoms you described your pups having:

Severe parasite infestation
coccidia infection
Giardia infection

So in the absence of actual parvo testing my anecdotal experience as a pet owner of pets over 50 years span that have had all of the above at one time or another; I would make an educated guess that is could also be severe giardia infection and possible co infection with one or both of the others.

They are very young and any one of those illness could be life threatening.

So maybe it's parvo, maybe it's not. End of the day the treatment you are doing seems to be helping and that is what counts.

It is clear you love your pups and want to give them the best you can. I hope your pup continues to improve and enjoys a long happy life with you!

I hope this has helped you to better understand some of the views/opinions you have received. Hang around and keep us updated. We care and we are happy to have you as part of the forum.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Understanding that vet care is different around the world I'm just going to try to expand on why some members seem to be giving some push back on the Parvo diagnosis. This is in no way implying your vet lied to you. In the USA and many other countries with more developed and readily available vet care Parvo is diagnosed with a laboratory test not simply by symptoms and observations. You haven't mentioned if your vet did such a test and thus I suspect that is why some question or have doubts about whether your pup truly has parvo.

I'm not a vet but have had a young dog (1978-80 ish ) contract parvo virus when it first started to appear in dogs. As has been mentioned the smell of the stool of a parvo infected pup/dog is something very distinctive and once you've smelled it you never forget it. And when they have diarrhea it is explosive. It is my understanding that parvo infected dogs do not eat (ours didn't for days). The GI/intestinal internal bleeding is painful and eating only makes it worse. Early on they usually vomit anything they try to eat as well. The gut is just to torn up to tolerate food. The fact that your pup has continued to eat (albeit a very limited diet) is contrary to the vast norm which again suggests that your pups illness would be something other than parvo.

What is supportive care with parvo? Usually forced hydration with balanced electrolytes either by IV, sub q injection or syringe feeding. In your case the pedialyte you are adding to your feedings. Anti nausea drugs and yes antibiotics to prevent septicimia.

A personal thought to something other than parvo that would have the same/simular symptoms you described your pups having:

Severe parasite infestation
coccidia infection
Giardia infection

So in the absence of actual parvo testing my anecdotal experience as a pet owner of pets over 50 years span that have had all of the above at one time or another; I would make an educated guess that is could also be severe giardia infection and possible co infection with one or both of the others.

They are very young and any one of those illness could be life threatening.

So maybe it's parvo, maybe it's not. End of the day the treatment you are doing seems to be helping and that is what counts.

It is clear you love your pups and want to give them the best you can. I hope your pup continues to improve and enjoys a long happy life with you!

I hope this has helped you to better understand some of the views/opinions you have received. Hang around and keep us updated. We care and we are happy to have you as part of the forum.
Thanks. Now this really makes some sense.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm so sorry you and your pup are having such a rough time, and praying for both of you. With that said, would someone please take down that obscene survey up top. What a horrible thing for someone with a sick friend to have to see. What if it asked if my girlfriend with pneumonia is going to survive?

I would not give milk - it always comes back up for my dogs. For the diarrhea I give pumpkin out of a can (can you get that?) Just a soup spoon full 3 or 4 times a day until it stops. As soon as both pups are healthy I would resume shots - do you need a list of what's recommended here in the US?

Parvo is a tough one, fortunately I have no experience with it, so I"m not much help. But those with experience have valuable observations and suggestions. Because of the vet situation you find yourself in, all you can really do is treat the symptoms which it sounds like you are doing a good job with. Whenever we've had bloody diarrhea the vet gave antibiotics, so I would continue them. It sounds like you are dealing with more than one illness. Cooked chicken and rice are pretty standard for sick dogs, maybe your vet is not sure about the quality of chicken you can get? While I know I'm not much help, know that I do care.

keep us updated? thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I'm so sorry you and your pup are having such a rough time, and praying for both of you. With that said, would someone please take down that obscene survey up top. What a horrible thing for someone with a sick friend to have to see. What if it asked if my girlfriend with pneumonia is going to survive?

I would not give milk - it always comes back up for my dogs. For the diarrhea I give pumpkin out of a can (can you get that?) Just a soup spoon full 3 or 4 times a day until it stops. As soon as both pups are healthy I would resume shots - do you need a list of what's recommended here in the US?

Parvo is a tough one, fortunately I have no experience with it, so I"m not much help. But those with experience have valuable observations and suggestions. Because of the vet situation you find yourself in, all you can really do is treat the symptoms which it sounds like you are doing a good job with. Whenever we've had bloody diarrhea the vet gave antibiotics, so I would continue them. It sounds like you are dealing with more than one illness. Cooked chicken and rice are pretty standard for sick dogs, maybe your vet is not sure about the quality of chicken you can get? While I know I'm not much help, know that I do care.

keep us updated? thanks.
Dear friend! I was so concerned that while posting I made that survey out of anxiety to know if my furry friend will live, as I have encountered Parvo in puppies for the first time. Now I can't delete it. Can't even delete comments. May be because I am a new member or may be because the forum doesn't allow deleting poll.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Anyways I have stopped updating the Post as many members had issues with it.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Keep updating! We want to know how your pups are doing. It's clear that you love them and are committed to their care.
I have no issues with you posting. I simply want to ensure that future readers don't walk away thinking they can simple treat Parvo themselves. Make NO mistake this virus is deadly, highly contagious and can have lifelong consequences.
I read some studies done in Pakistan and understand that for the most part it is diagnosed there by symptoms? Of 17 suspected cases referred to the study I believe 11 proved to be Parvo? They are still citing mortality at over 70% once symptoms appear. And nutritional support was specifically addressed as one of the key factors to survival.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Keep updating! We want to know how your pups are doing. It's clear that you love them and are committed to their care.
I have no issues with you posting. I simply want to ensure that future readers don't walk away thinking they can simple treat Parvo themselves. Make NO mistake this virus is deadly, highly contagious and can have lifelong consequences.
I read some studies done in Pakistan and understand that for the most part it is diagnosed there by symptoms? Of 17 suspected cases referred to the study I believe 11 proved to be Parvo? They are still citing mortality at over 70% once symptoms appear. And nutritional support was specifically addressed as one of the key factors to survival.
Yeah in no way someone who has better vet facilities available in the city should take this risk... I will add this at the top of my post...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi my name is Ahsan. I am new to the forum. I own 2 GSDs, 1 male (Maxie) and 1 female (Bella). They are 3 months old. I took them home when they were 1 month old. The breeder told me that 1x month vaccination shots (Record lost) are given to both of them and the 2nd shot is due on 3 months. Anyways I brought them home, they were active and very friendly. Learned a lot in 1 week.

Their diet:
Morning: Half Kg Chicken (2 x Raw Eggs)
Afernoon: 8 x boiled Chicken Feet
Evening: Half Kg Chicken (2 x Raw Eggs)

Everything was fine until they turned 3 Months old and I took them for the 2nd Shot of vaccination. After getting vaccinated both of them kept on pooping water and blood. I talked to my vet and he said it is possible that they might have caught parvo virus before being vaccinated and he said you also didn't have the vaccination record so who knows that the breeder got them vaccinated or not.
Well he asked me to give them 4 cc (250 mg Ciprofloxacin HCI) and 4cc (250 mg Cephradine) in first dose. Bella vomited the medicine. So he asked me to give her 2 cc Dimenhydrinate BP) before giving the next dose after 3 hours which was of 3 cc each.

The next Morning Maxie was fine and his poop was normal. However Bella kept on pooping blood and water. He continued doses of 3cc each Cephradine and Ciprofloxacin. After every 3 hours. And as a precautionary measure he asked me to give dose of 2 cc to Maxie as well. Bella is still pooping water and blood. She is not eating. She only drinks milk for now. So I am only feeding her 50% milk and 50% water.

Do you guys think she will survive. She is pooping blood and water from yesterday morning.
Regards
Ahsan

Daily Update
Health issue started on 6th Mar 20 (Friday)
6 March 20 - 1st Day
Doses
1st Dose:
Ciprofloxacin HCI 250 mg syrup (4 cc)
Cephradine 250 mg syrup (4 cc)
2nd Dose:
Ciprofloxacin HCI 250 mg syrup (3 cc)
Cephradine 250 mg syrup (3 cc)
3rd Dose:
Diet:
Bread soaked in 2 eggs and Milk

7 March 20 - 2nd Day
Doses
1st Dose:
2nd Dose:
3rd Dose:
Diet:

8 March 20 - 3rd Day
Doses
1st Dose:
Ciprofloxacin HCI 250 mg syrup (3.5 cc)
Cephradine 250 mg syrup (3.5 cc)
2nd Dose:
3rd Dose:
Diet:

9 March 20 (4th Day) I read puppies who survive first 4 days of Parvo always survive the next days too... I am Happy and hopeful now.

Doses
(You need to learn how to inject IM injections first). Below is the video which will help.
1st Dose:
Cephradine 500 mg (Half Dose of IM Injection)
2nd Dose:
Cephradine 500 mg (Half Dose of IM Injection)
Diet:

PS. I am mixing pedialyte in the water and also feeding her pedialyte with the help of syringe to make sure she is hydrated.
I am sharing all this info for the owners who can't afford vet care and Hospital charges. You can also do what the vet will do in the hospital. Where there is a will, there is a way.
Regards
Hi my friend had a pit bull pup & she made it thru but we weren't giving those Antibiotics your giving, she was taking Electrolytes every 1 hour in a 20ml syringe I'd put the side back of her mouth to drink & she took Metronidazole antibiotic every 12 hours with a very bland small meal, but she didn't want to eat vet said just make sure you keep giving her the electrolytes every hour on the hour, we boiled white potato, potato is excellent to stop diarrhea & get some tin tuna in spring water, drain the water & mash in the potato pieces mix 1/2 Tuna & 1/2 potato NO CHICKEN, dogs like the smell of fish, when she is stronger buy the Tin Salmon read tin look for the lowest amount sodium/salt %
The meds she is taking might be making her more sick, I can't take certain antibiotics I get diarrhea same as my dog he can only take Metronidazole for his IBD ask vet can you change get a script of Metronidazole so you can go to chemist & buy its cheaper - Metronidazole/Flagyl -200mg tablet 21 tablets, I give to my 40lb/18kg dog 1 x 200mg Metronidazole tablet every 12 hours with a meal... dose is 250mg for a 40lb/18kg dog twice a day.
also the diet your feeding them isn't balanced properly, there's no omega fatty acids, no organ meat, no bone no vitamins etc
Go on face book look for "The Australian Raw feeding Community" group its really good for diet raw feeding puppies, a lot of people do 1/2 dry kibble & 1/2 raw..
Their Diet isn't good for growing large breed puppies/dogs look for a GOOD premium dry kibble for large breed puppy they need a diet so their bones don't grow too quick & cause osteoarthritis when they're older.
Google Diet for Large breed growing puppy bones & it explains what can happen..
Just make sure she is kept hydrated & boil some white potato mix tin tuna or sweet potato is good but Sweet potato has more fiber then white potato.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Understandable. No worries. I think I can speak for the entire list when I say we all want your pups to survive and thrive.

Dear friend! I was so concerned that while posting I made that survey out of anxiety to know if my furry friend will live, as I have encountered Parvo in puppies for the first time. Now I can't delete it. Can't even delete comments. May be because I am a new member or may be because the forum doesn't allow deleting poll.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
923 Posts
@Sabis mom may be unrelated but in some countries yes, healthy or unhealthy, some low lives who are supposed to have the job of saving animals would rather kill them and don't pay attention to their health at all, out of convenience. Like security dog handlers who use the money that's supposed to be for their dog (feeding, grooming, toy etc.) for themselves instead. It is dis gu s t ing. I don't think I have ever seen a mall security dog in Indonesia (lived there for 19 years) that don't look malnourished and unhappy. Like someone said here, it's a big world out there.

OP, I wish you good luck on your pup's health.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you took them home at 4 weeks, the shots were useless as they have most likely killed the mother's antibodies in the milk. So you took the pups home that were not protected. And they should have stayed in the litter for another 5 weeks as well to learn how to be a dog.
Take them to the vet as soon as possible. Puppies die quick when very sick and it doesn't sound good.
Yes a pup needs to stay with it’s mother until it is at least eight weeks old.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts