German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I am from Pakistan. And the reason why vet will be visiting my home tomorrow is because the Vet is my friend. And he took all the details on phone call. And confirmed that it is Parvo. Moreover last time when I visited him for vaccination, Bella and Maxie both kept on Vomiting because it was their first time in the Car. So being my friend the Dr said he himself will be visiting my home with his staff, feed & observe the puppies at home for a while.
A vet CANNOT! confirm Parvo over the phone! Further to that immunity is irrelevant since only pups generally become symptomatic.
Supportive care may pull some pups through but since the virus can cause long term damage a vet needs to be involved. The stool you photographed looks more like worms or gastro issue. Parvo produces nearly black stool that has a pudding almost tar like look due to the amount of blood. It also has a distinct and unforgettable smell.
I keep responding to this thread because misinformation about Parvo could kill someone's pup.
If you suspect your pup has Parvo it needs to be SEEN by a vet immediately! Early diagnosis and care greatly improves a pups odds.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
A vet CANNOT! confirm Parvo over the phone! Further to that immunity is irrelevant since only pups generally become symptomatic.
Supportive care may pull some pups through but since the virus can cause long term damage a vet needs to be involved. The stool you photographed looks more like worms or gastro issue. Parvo produces nearly black stool that has a pudding almost tar like look due to the amount of blood. It also has a distinct and unforgettable smell.
I keep responding to this thread because misinformation about Parvo could kill someone's pup.
If you suspect your pup has Parvo it needs to be SEEN by a vet immediately! Early diagnosis and care greatly improves a pups odds.
I see. I am also skeptic because my pups would have never eaten anything if they ever had Parvo. Well the Vet will be coming tomorrow and see for himself.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I see. I am also skeptic because my pups would have never eaten anything if they ever had Parvo. Well the Vet will be coming tomorrow and see for himself.
Search this forum for the thread about Oliver, he survived Parvo but it was a long hard fight to save his life.
The member was markhenley.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I think I am sure Bella
Screenshot_20200309-011824_Samsung Internet.jpg
has Parvo. Because this is what the internet says. The symptoms and even the stool.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update: Vet came today and confirmed that it was Parvo. Treatment is going on. Do pray for her health. I will share the medicines being feeded and the injections being injected. I will write the complete story after she recovers.
Regards

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Update: The good thing is my Vet said that she has 70% chances of surviving. As she was already semi vaccinated having 1 shot of vaccination. However before the 2nd shot she caught the virus but it was not obvious before. After the shot the virus boosted up it's reaction.
He advised not to take semi vaccinated puppies to public areas. Not even to the vet clinic or hospital. As pets with parvo virus or even the handlers and the owners leave the virus in such places and it is impossible to kill it from such places. Better is to get the appointment from vet and give the shots at home.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You seem like a good man Ahsan, good luck to you and your puppies!
Thanks Brother. I learned how to give injections at home from vet, in case of emergency. It's a prime responsibility of the owner to take care of his pet who can't even convey if he is in pain. The owner must have that relation with his pet that by looking in his eyes he should understand that there is something wrong.
Most people say I shouldn't have taken them home at 1 Month old. But I still remember these puppies used to sleep in my lap for hours and hours. For Bella and Maxie, I am their Papa and I am their Mom. I will do anything to save them from danger. And I know she will not die on me (If God wills).

·
Registered
504 Posts
All the best to you and your pups. Please keep posting.
This is a very big world, not everyone has access to veterinary care, sometimes we forget that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
All the best to you and your pups. Please keep posting.
This is a very big world, not everyone has access to veterinary care, sometimes we forget that.
I am updating the Original Post on daily basis. Daily update with dosage is being updated. In case you want to take notes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Daily Update
6 March 20
Doses
1st Dose:
Ciprofloxacin HCI 250 mg syrup (4 cc)
Cephradine 250 mg syrup (4 cc)
2nd Dose:
Ciprofloxacin HCI 250 mg syrup (3 cc)
Cephradine 250 mg syrup (3 cc)
3rd Dose:
Diet:
Bread soaked in 2 eggs and Milk

7 March 20
Doses
1st Dose:
2nd Dose:
3rd Dose:
Diet:

8 March 20
Doses
1st Dose:
Ciprofloxacin HCI 250 mg syrup (3.5 cc)
Cephradine 250 mg syrup (3.5 cc)
2nd Dose:
3rd Dose:
Diet:

9 March 20 (4th Day) I read puppies who survive first 4 days of Parvo always survive the next days too... I am Happy and hopeful now.
Doses (You need to learn how to inject IM injections first). Below is the video which will help.

1st Dose:
Cephradine 500 mg (Half Dose of IM Injection)
2nd Dose:
Cephradine 500 mg (Half Dose of IM Injection)
Diet:

PS. I am mixing pedialyte in the water and also feeding her with the help of syringe to make sure she is hydrated.
I am sharing all this info for the owners who can't afford vet care and Hospital charges. You can also do what the vet will do in the hospital. Where there is a will, there is a way.
Regards

·
Registered
504 Posts
I am updating the Original Post on daily basis. Daily update with dosage is being updated. In case you want to take notes.
I am from Canada. It would be extremely irresponsible for me to do anything but GO TO THE VET. This is why your post upset some people.

However, my dog came from a country, and people, where this would not be possible, where telling people to 'go to the vet' does nothing but add to the heartbreak. So, no, I won't be taking notes.

Is this something that very poor people can manage? Or an underfunded rescue? I'm just wondering. My dog's rescue org gets a lot of North American funding and has volunteer vets on hand (he is from the Dominican Republic), having him, and being in contact with the rescue organization has led me to reflect much more on how conditions and norms differ in different parts of the world.

I see you are from Pakistan and think perhaps there are people for whom 'going to the vet' is simply not an option?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I am from Canada. It would be extremely irresponsible for me to do anything but GO TO THE VET. This is why your post upset some people.

However, my dog came from a country, and people, where this would not be possible, where telling people to 'go to the vet' does nothing but add to the heartbreak. So, no, I won't be taking notes.

Is this something that very poor people can manage? Or an underfunded rescue? I'm just wondering. My dog's rescue org gets a lot of North American funding and has volunteer vets on hand (he is from the Dominican Republic), having him, and being in contact with the rescue organization has led me to reflect much more on how conditions and norms differ in different parts of the world.

I see you are from Pakistan and think perhaps there are people for whom 'going to the vet' is simply not an option?
Here there is only 1x Government veterinary hospital. Which is free of cost. But I don't trust them. And no it's not because I wanna save money. It's because facilities are not available and low life workers will rather kill my dog instead of curing. So that's why I am treating at home.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Here there is only 1x Government veterinary hospital. Which is free of cost. But I don't trust them. And no it's not because I wanna save money. It's because facilities are not available and low life workers will rather kill my dog instead of curing. So that's why I am treating at home.
It's not perhaps that they would rather kill your dog, but that viruses like parvo are highly contagious and expensive to treat. In some countries the death toll from parvo is as high as 95%. Euthanizing even suspect cases is safer when you have a lack of resources.
I am entirely sympathetic to your situation, and I do hope your pups both survive. That said, I still do not believe it's Parvo and I still am uncomfortable with the amount of misinformation in this thread. Treating a highly contagious dog at home with homemade remedies is irresponsible in most cases, and I would venture to say that in this case these pups survived in spite of the cure, not because of it. There is no cure for Parvo. Supportive treatment is all there is. Its a virus, it will run it's course and have it's way and the best we can do is treat symptoms and hope for minimal damage.
I know you love your puppies and it is clear that you have tried your hardest. As I said I sincerely wish you and your pups the very best.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
The Pavovirus stays active for a long time in the soil,so please don’t allow any other dogs or puppies to visit. My rescue group foster who had our older dog as a puppy, lost an 8 year old vaccinated dog to Parvo and didn’t even suspect it until it was too late. Because the had a puppy who brought in parvo, they could not foster again for years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
It's not perhaps that they would rather kill your dog, but that viruses like parvo are highly contagious and expensive to treat. In some countries the death toll from parvo is as high as 95%. Euthanizing even suspect cases is safer when you have a lack of resources.
I am entirely sympathetic to your situation, and I do hope your pups both survive. That said, I still do not believe it's Parvo and I still am uncomfortable with the amount of misinformation in this thread. Treating a highly contagious dog at home with homemade remedies is irresponsible in most cases, and I would venture to say that in this case these pups survived in spite of the cure, not because of it. There is no cure for Parvo. Supportive treatment is all there is. Its a virus, it will run it's course and have it's way and the best we can do is treat symptoms and hope for minimal damage.
I know you love your puppies and it is clear that you have tried your hardest. As I said I sincerely wish you and your pups the very best.
Why do you think like that? I said Vet confirmed that it is Parvo. Why would a vet lie?
2nd There is no homemade remedy going on here. I am doing what the nursing staff and the vet would have done in the hospital. By injecting antibiotics. What else the vet would have done in hospital. Does he have a magical wand? I repeat the thread is not covering homemade remedies. Rather it's a replica of what the Vet does in the hospital to save pups from Parvo. Read the doses and google them, only then you will come to know that it's not home remedy. It's a proper treatment at home.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts