German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclaimer: Don't try to treat your puppies at home like this if you have Vet facilities available in your city. The only reason I am doing this is because I don't have such facilities in my city.

Hi my name is Ahsan. I am new to the forum. I own 2 GSDs, 1 male (Maxie) and 1 female (Bella). They are 3 months old. I took them home when they were 1 month old. The breeder told me that 1x month vaccination shots (Record lost) are given to both of them and the 2nd shot is due on 3 months. Anyways I brought them home, they were active and very friendly. Learned a lot in 1 week.

Everything was fine until they turned 3 Months old and I took them for the 2nd Shot of vaccination. After getting vaccinated both of them kept on pooping water and blood. I talked to my vet and he said it is possible that they might have caught parvo virus before being vaccinated and he said you also didn't have the vaccination record so who knows that the breeder got them vaccinated or not.

Well he asked me to give them 4 cc (250 mg Ciprofloxacin HCI) and 4cc (250 mg Cephradine) in first dose. Bella vomited the medicine. So he asked me to give her 2 cc Dimenhydrinate BP) before giving the next dose after 3 hours which was of 3 cc each.

The next Morning Maxie was fine and his poop was normal. However Bella kept on pooping blood and water. He continued doses of 3cc each Cephradine and Ciprofloxacin. After every 3 hours. And as a precautionary measure he asked me to give dose of 2 cc to Maxie as well. Bella is still pooping water and blood. She is not eating. She only drinks milk for now. So I am only feeding her 50% milk and 50% water.

Daily Update
Health issue started on 6th Mar 20 (Friday)
6 March 20 - 1st Day
Doses
1st Dose:
Ciprofloxacin HCI 250 mg syrup (4 cc)
Cephradine 250 mg syrup (4 cc)
2nd Dose:
Ciprofloxacin HCI 250 mg syrup (3 cc)
Cephradine 250 mg syrup (3 cc)
3rd Dose:
Diet:
Bread soaked in 2 eggs and Milk

7 March 20 - 2nd Day
Doses
1st Dose:
2nd Dose:
3rd Dose:
Diet:

8 March 20 - 3rd Day
Doses
1st Dose:
Ciprofloxacin HCI 250 mg syrup (3.5 cc)
Cephradine 250 mg syrup (3.5 cc)
2nd Dose:
3rd Dose:
Diet:

9 March 20 (4th day)
Doses
1st Dose:
Cephradine 250 mg (Injection)
Neurobion Injection

2nd Dose:
Diet:
Bread soaked in Milk

10-11 March 20 (5th & 6th Day) I read puppies who survive first 4 days of Parvo always survive the next days too.

Doses
1st Dose:
Neurobion Injection

2nd Dose:
Diet:
Bread soaked in Milk

12 March 2020 (7th Day)
Unfortunately Maxie also caught the virus. And is pooping blood and Parvo Poop. (Maxie is being treated as per the routine from 4th day, consider 4th day of bella as 1st day for Maxie) Started direct Injection therapy.

4th Day of Bella on Injection Therapy
1st Dose:

2nd Dose:
Diet:
Bread soaked in Milk

13 March 2020 (5th Day of Injection Therapy, the last day)
1st Dose:

2nd Dose:
Diet:
Bread soaked in Milk

PS. I am mixing pedialyte in the water and also feeding her pedialyte with the help of syringe to make sure she is hydrated.
I am sharing all this info for the owners who can't afford vet care and Hospital charges. You can also do what the vet will do in the hospital. Where there is a will, there is a way.

15 March 2020
Both are fine now Bella finished the course of Cephradine on 13th March. Maxie will finish the course on 16 March. Both are eating and drinking on their own now. Thanks for the prayers and good wishes.

Remember: Dog food is crap. Most of the Puppies who died because of Parvo die because they are fed with the Dog food. If your Puppy is eating good, fresh food. He will be strong enough to sustain and fight against this deadly virus. Dogs in the wild who get Parvo dont have vets to treat them but their bodies are strong enough to fight against this virus because of their diet.
Most people think that it will cost more but believe me it will only cost a few dollars more, not much. Feed your puppies fresh boiled chicken instead of feeding them with crap of such dog food companies.
End of Post
Profound Regards

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am sorry that your dogs are sick. I am afraid that it is very unlikely that your pups received their first shots. Breeders would never "lose" the inoculation records. Even if they did, they could easily be replaced/reprinted by the vet.
I sincerely hope things work out for your pup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Jorski Does the Parvo kill the dog? And if so do you know in how many days? What is the survival rate? Do you think that the recent vaccination shot will help her survive? Thanks for the response.
Regards

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thanks. It says most puppies that survive the first three-to-four days make a complete recovery. She already survived for 2x days. Will keep on updating... She is under treatment of heavy antibiotics.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
If you took them home at 4 weeks, the shots were useless as they have most likely killed the mother's antibodies in the milk. So you took the pups home that were not protected. And they should have stayed in the litter for another 5 weeks as well to learn how to be a dog.
Take them to the vet as soon as possible. Puppies die quick when very sick and it doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
This whole thread makes me shake my head.
There is no HOME CURE for parvo! Some pups make it, some don't. The virus doesn't kill them it's the dehydration that gets them. The earlier they receive care the better their chances but parvo requires a vet.
Cows milk is not good for dogs. It can cause serious gastro issues including severe diarrhea, vomiting and loss of appetite. Blood in stool is common with severe worm infestations, or severe gi issues.
Parvo can be diagnosed by your vet, no guessing required.
But better then that, the smell is a dead give away. It is unmistakeable and unforgettable. They do not recover in a day, they don't get a bit of it, and it spreads through direct and indirect contact. It is a resilient virus that can survive for up to a year or more outside a host with the right conditions. This means that even if your pups survive the area they live in is contaminated and can cause harm to other dogs.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Who's doing a survey on rather or not a pup will survive parvo? I'm sorry but I find this whole thing sick and no reputable breeder would let a puppy go home at one month old. :mad:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This whole thread makes me shake my head.
There is no HOME CURE for parvo! Some pups make it, some don't. The virus doesn't kill them it's the dehydration that gets them. The earlier they receive care the better their chances but parvo requires a vet.
Cows milk is not good for dogs. It can cause serious gastro issues including severe diarrhea, vomiting and loss of appetite. Blood in stool is common with severe worm infestations, or severe gi issues.
Parvo can be diagnosed by your vet, no guessing required.
But better then that, the smell is a dead give away. It is unmistakeable and unforgettable. They do not recover in a day, they don't get a bit of it, and it spreads through direct and indirect contact. It is a resilient virus that can survive for up to a year or more outside a host with the right conditions. This means that even if your pups survive the area they live in is contaminated and can cause harm to other dogs.
The pup is active and eating. She wants to eat chicken but Vet strongly prohibited that. And asked me to only feed white rice and milk.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Health issue started on 6th Mar 20 (Friday)

Today: 8 March 20
It is the 3rd day and she was still pooping blood and water with a little bit of watery poop until I gave her next dose of 3.5 cc each of above mentioned Antibiotics (Previously dose was 3 cc). I can see improvement after 3 hours of the dose. I am sharing the photos of poop in the comments. Tomorrow the vet will visit with the injections of antibiotics.

I fed her 2 x Raw Eggs last night to keep the nutrition. Vet asked me not to feed anything else. However I fed her with 5x Chicken pieces to fulfil her needs of vitamins and protein. She is not drinking water so to keep her hydrated I am feeding her with 50% packed milk and 50% water.

Before you guys say that I should follow what the vet says. I think they don't get any vet in the wild. And they do survive by eating.
Regards

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Maxie is now immune to the Parvo virus for his entire life as he has successfully survived the virus with the diet and medications given at home. He is now living with Bella who has Parvo and is completely healthy and active. (Back to his normal life).

If bella also survives through this I will write a complete guide in detail on how to save your pup from Parvo Virus at Home. The medications that I used with the consent of the Vet are easily available in every Medical Store and are actually used for humans.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bella seems better now. I am feeding her 2 pieces of bread in 1 Glass milk mixed with 2 x Raw eggs. (y):love:
Dosage of antibiotics is as under.
3rd Day:
Total Doses: 3
Amount of doses:
Ciprofloxacin HCI: 3.5 cc
Cephradine: 3 cc

·
Premium Member
11,174 Posts
I doubt that the OP is in the US or UK......probably a country where the vet care/breeding culture is far differrent than what we are used to....

Hopefully the care is working and the pup will survive

Lee

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I doubt that the OP is in the US or UK......probably a country where the vet care/breeding culture is far differrent than what we are used to....

Hopefully the care is working and the pup will survive

Lee
I am from Pakistan. And the reason why vet will be visiting my home tomorrow is because the Vet is my friend. And he took all the details on phone call. And confirmed that it is Parvo. Moreover last time when I visited him for vaccination, Bella and Maxie both kept on Vomiting because it was their first time in the Car. So being my friend the Dr said he himself will be visiting my home with his staff, feed & observe the puppies at home for a while.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts