German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as many of you know, Arlo had parvo. We have bleached everything, even food bowls. Threw out his bed as he threw up on it, and I heard parvo hangs around for months..

Anywho. So his crate is made out of wood. Fairly nice and perfect size for him. I would hate to throw it away, but would a good cleaning work out? Or should I just toss it? It's not like he has spoiled in it.. Just slept. Maybe a licking here an there...

He doesn't use it much now. Last few nights he has slept in our room. We do crate him while at work. Looking to leave him out during the day too.. But it is his "man cave" and I would like to keep it around for him if at all possible

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your puppy and Arlo. I'm glad he is recovering! As for the crate...I personally wouldn't keep the wooden crate...it's very hard to sanitize wood. He's prob going to be so weak for a while that its safer to get rid of it!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
If he didn't potty in the crate, there shouldn't be an issue, should there?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I was thinking if he hasn't soiled in it..should be good?

I'll probably toss it to be honest. But I'm sure when he comes home he will still have the virus, and I'd hate to buy a new crate, then buy a newer one shortly after he is better.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I don't know if it would make a difference, but it might help if the crate has some kind of protective seal on it vs a wooden crate made out of untreated unsealed wood.

Regarding buying a new crate....not really an issue, because a store bought crate made out of metal would be able to be disinfected properly. I'm not really sure how you would disinfect wood.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
The only thing that kills the parvo virus is a bleach/water solution. I've read that parvo can live dormant up to 6 years in the soil and can resist freezing and heat. Like I said, Omy had parvo and since we have 8 acres of land it was impossible to disinfect everywhere she might have been and she recovered completely. I'd hate to see you throw out a good crate but it might be the best idea just to be safe. So sorry you're going through this, I know how tough it is. Sounds like you're doing your best to make sure Arlo comes home to a healthy environment

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I'd be paranoid about keeping the crate especially because it's wood..

I'm glad Arlo is feeling better. Sorry about the puppy:((

I would definately inform the person you got the puppy from about the parvo..Their house is most likely infected as well, and if they bring in or have other dogs, well they should be informed.

This was the puppy off of CL right? Do you know where the puppy came from prior to the first home? A breeder? petshop? Who knows, they could be infected as well:(

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
Is he your only dog? If he is, what's the worry? Once he survives it, he will be immune to it, so it is not like he will catch Parvo again, just clean it as best as you can. Buy Parvosol, it will kill the Parvo but won't ruin it like Bleach would. Now if you were using the crate for another dog, that would be a different story.
Sorry you are having to go through this.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I would strongly advise for you to discuss it with your vet as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts