German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of changing Gunnar's name to Rolex. I swear to got that he can tell time.
Ever since we got him as 7 1/2 week old puppy, Gunnar has been feed at 6:30 am and 6:30 pm. It just always worked out that way because of our schedules. Whether the wife and I were working days or nights, someone was always home at those times, it's just how it works out.

Now, he will wake you up or come and find you between 6:20 and 6:30, day or night, to let you know it's time to eat.
One of us is up and around or awake in bed at that time of morning and if you aren't getting his food ready, he'll let you know.
He's the only dog I've ever met that will actually "tell" you when it's time to eat. He'll tug on your arm or leg and whine to let you know, "Hey dummy, I want to eat."
:wild:
Just cracks me up every time!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Jamie Lee does this too, but not with food. She is my alarm clock. It is a rarity if I get to sleep in late anymore. She gets everyone up between 7:00-8:30 every morning. She cuddles me and kisses me and "woo woo"s(barking) every morning to tell me it is time to get up.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Wolfie does this too with food, when it's time for him to go to bed, and every night at the exact same time, he is waiting by the door for hubby to come home from work.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't you wish they'd pick up on the off-leash heel that well.....LOL
When I used to work days (shift starts at 0600) I would feed them before I left for work, especially if my wife was on mid shift, so she could sleep in a little bit. That worked pretty well since I could feed them at ten to 6 because my squad was in the driveway and I didn't have to go far. At night, if it's 6:35 we almost get a riot if the food isn't on the floor.
Our daughter is 21 now and lives 3 1/2 hours away and she claims child abuse because we give in to the dogs way more then we ever gave into her. Guess it sucks to be a kid sometimes.
My wife tells her to wait and see. She just got her dog, a pit/lab mix, certified as a therapy dog. She rescued him from a shelter where she lives and since she works in 2 different group homes, they gave her paid time to attend classes and go through all the testing, as long as she gives them a 3 year commitment after she's certified. She just got her final certificate yesterday. I'm so proud of her, even though she didn't get a german shepherd.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Rem is the same way. Wakes up at 8 sharp every am. Down asleep at 10 pm sharp. Eats at 9 am and 3 pm. Expects his daily fetch at 11 am, and his daily wrestling at 9 pm. Miss any of those things... and he goes to try and chew something up! Too funny, how these dogs thrive on schedule and routine.

·
Registered
316 Posts
And here we thought our dogs were the only ones that could tell time! They also know the difference between work days and weekends and act VERY differently on weekend mornings when they know they're going to get early walks and play time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts