German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up our little girl on Friday (June 7), and I'm rushing around making sure that we've got everything we need for when she gets home. Got a checklist of toys, bowls, food, and treats that I'm running through. Going straight from the breeder to the vet for her wellness check and first set of shots, then onto home to let her explore and have us 'awww' for the rest of the night.

As far as socialization, we have a 2 year old male cat who is likely going to hiss at the puppy and maybe even swat at him. The cat is not declawed, but we try to keep his nails trimmed. Is this just a case of staying vigilant when they're around each other until the cat is used to the pup? We also have a friend staying with us that has a 1 year old Bichon Frise/Shih Tzu (read: small hyperactive yappy dog). I'm thinking I'll get a gate to keep the two separated at least initially. Any thoughts on introductions?

The other thing I am terrified of is parvo. I was initially thinking that I'd take the puppy to work one day, downtown another day, etc. But then reading about parvo and articles basically saying it's everywhere, now I'm concerned about the trip from the breeder to our home (probably 4 hours with stops along the way). Not to mention trying to decide where it's safe to take the puppy until she's immunized. How cautious do I need to reasonably be?

Excited, stressed, and extremely glad that this resource exists. Thanks for the help everyone! :D

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Congrats on the new puppy. I would be cautious until the puppy has the last of shots. Is the other dog up to date on shots? Intro the two dogs at neutral place, like a park. Then take them both in the house.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wouldn't take my pup anywhere but the backyard until last shots are administered. Even on the day you get pup I wouldn't recommend stopping anywhere. Those rest stops are where everyone else on the road stops to let their dogs relieve themselves. I would make sure that pup goes before leaving breeder and try making it all the way home. We had a 3 hour ride and pup made it just fine. Good luck and Congrats.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would make sure that pup goes before leaving breeder and try making it all the way home. We had a 3 hour ride and pup made it just fine. Good luck and Congrats.
I think that's what we'll do too. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts