German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Details on this. Vet wants to sedate and remove. Also says that it would
Go away on its own. Are my rugs and such now no good? It is supposedly contagious but does it live on surfaces?
IMG_0135.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't have any direct experience with this, however, it is related to the human HPV I believe, so I don't think it would be spread from surfaces (just skin to skin). Also, just because the vet removes the growth, does not mean the virus is cleared, it could still be circulating in the body. It is usually up to the immune system to clear the virus. It could take a long time, and it could probably also re-occur, especially if the immune system is compromised. BUT that being said, I don't think it's worth worrying about :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any direct experience with this, however, it is related to the human HPV I believe, so I don't think it would be spread from surfaces (just skin to skin). Also, just because the vet removes the growth, does not mean the virus is cleared, it could still be circulating in the body. It is usually up to the immune system to clear the virus. It could take a long time, and it could probably also re-occur, especially if the immune system is compromised. BUT that being said, I don't think it's worth worrying about :)
Thanks for the reassurance. This is exactly how I felt. Girlfriend got a little worried. She is not immunocompromised that we know of, just a young puppy. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
31,129 Posts
Geez. I had to look that up.
Here's an article from Colorado State
and

I think you have to find out how long the virus can live outside the body. Very few can. I can't find anything online about it other than it can live for weeks outside the body. The most you might have to do is use a cleaner that disinfects. I would disinfect her food bowl daily. Throw out all soft toys and disinfect all rubber ones. Do you have area rugs? Maybe have those cleaned? And not have any other dogs in the house until it's gone?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thought of throwing out all my just puppy sleeves and things is depressing. And I have another dog so no dogs isn’t an option... I do feed them separately. And will make sure to use different water bowls.

·
Registered
31,129 Posts
The thought of throwing out all my just puppy sleeves and things is depressing. And I have another dog so no dogs isn’t an option... I do feed them separately. And will make sure to use different water bowls.

ugh. so I washed one of the french linen toys in the washer with bleach and it came out fine. I would try that before I tossed all of those things.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think throwing out your stuff would be silly. Your puppy is probably still going to have the virus in his system, and once he has fought it off he will most likely be immune to re-infection of the same strain. Re-occurrence of the symptoms of the virus would be immune based most likely, not because you didn't wash his toys. Think of it like human herpes cold sores that people get on their lips, you can only catch it once, but it re-occurs occasionally (but not because you "re-caught" it!).

·
Super Moderator
6,702 Posts
These aren’t at all uncommon at the training facility where I work. A couple times a year and young dog will show up with one and sometimes it’ll spread to 1 or 2 more within the group.

We have several staff vets and they all handle them a little different... I can’t say never, but it’s extremely rare for us to sedate a dog for removal, especially for one and so small. As Kari said... removal doesn’t eliminate the virus.

Most often they go away on their own, sometimes the vet might twist one off, or... depending on location, sometimes dogs accidentally bite them off while barking/chewing/eating etc. those suckers bleed quite a bit fyi.

We don’t do anything more than our usual sanitation practices... and try to avoid any shared toys for the period when a dog is symptomatic.

·
Registered
31,129 Posts
ugh. so I washed one of the french linen toys in the washer with bleach and it came out fine. I would try that before I tossed all of those things. I was referring to just small soft toys, not expensive training items.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
My older dog had one on her leg as a puppy. We decided to have it removed because it was in a spot where it might get irritated. They didn’t tell me it was contagious and I didn’t look it up, so I didn’t worry about it. Neither she nor our older dog at the time got any after that.

·
Super Moderator
6,702 Posts
My older dog had one on her leg as a puppy. We decided to have it removed because it was in a spot where it might get irritated. They didn’t tell me it was contagious and I didn’t look it up, so I didn’t worry about it. Neither she nor our older dog at the time got any after that.
Are you sure it was the same thing, and not another type of wart? I’ve only ever seen them on the mouth area

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you sure it was the same thing, and not another type of wart? I’ve only ever seen them on the mouth area
In the article Jax posted, it said they could be on the foot as well

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Shadow had one on her tongue that was there all her life. Noticed it at just a few months old. Vet said leave it and watch it. So I did. It never grew, never changed. It was her raspberry. I noticed shortly after we arrived in Ontario that it had simply disappeared. So after 8 years of it living on the side of her tongue, it just went away.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
“Warts can develop in and around a dog’s mouth, around the eyes, between the toes, and almost anywhere on the skin”

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update, this went away on its own without any intervention. My other dog did not get one nor did any of the dogs we train with. Thanks everyone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts