German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do dogs have a fascination for paper products and socks? lol.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You forgot underwear!

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Re: Paper Products & Socks

i have no idea. but i wonder about this often. it just doesnt make sense that they can ignore everything in the house except for socks and old tissues/paper towels/ect. at least it doesnt make sense to me
Our senior at age 12, would never bother anything except for the aforementioned paper products and socks

I have noticied they dont like the "glossies" like my glossy gossip mags i have laying around the house..they dont bother with those..maybe its because they know how angry i would be if they ate my US magazine

·
Registered
153 Posts
Baby socks, my socks... those are pretty much Benny's. He loves them. Especially the baby's socks. Nary is there a day when Benny hasn't found a baby's sock.

Paper towels/napkins: loves to shred. What's with that? They can't be appetizing in the least!

He likes to 'dig' towels. He'll putt them between his legs over and over.

Rocks. He likes to gnaw rocks. He brought a huge one in the house that he likes to lick and nibble on. It must be the weight. Like a challenge.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I've caught Elmo a few times sorting through the laundry basket looking for socks. He'll take things out gently putting them on the floor one by one until he finds a sock. Then, he runs off with it like he has hit the jackpot.

·
Registered
151 Posts
let's see...my 8-year-old, Argo, has an abiding passion for both socks and paper products. He not only chews but EATS them. He also loves carpets( but only the irreplaceable ones I've brought back from Africa and the Middle East), pillows, upholstery fringe, underwear, all paper products including student papers ( so that i have had to tell students, "I'm sorry, but my dog ate your homework"!), a travel alarm clock, a Gallileo Nylabone, an entire fleece hat....this week, though, he took things a step further and ate a SHOE. Now I can no longer say, "oh well, at least he's not eating my shoes!"

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can dogs hurt themselves eating clean toilet paper? Tosca loves pulling it off the roll. Don't worry, I catch her before she has a chance to eat it. lol.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Remember the TV commerical with the dog yelling "bacon bacon BACON"? Well, that's Gracie with paper - toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, the Sunday paper - paper, paper PAPER!!!!

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Flash is the same way Jen. Include socks in that as well. Our morning ritual is for me to grab a pair of socks out of the drawer and at the same time Flash is slooooowly sneaking up and then will quickly make his move to steal a pair out of the drawer. Then he runs around the house like I imagine I would if I won the lottery jackpot. Kleenex? OMG forget it. I don't know how many boxes we've thrown away because he is just SO fast and shreds the whole box in 1.2 seconds. He LIVES to destroy things. And shoes. He tries to steal them off my feet and thinks it is so much fun to see how long he can keep me from putting them on!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thats my Tonga !!

Thats his thing !! Paper, Paper towewl, plastic bottles and socks ! Esp. my girls socks, so every now and again someone's arm is down his throat pulling out socks...

Though he does have a preferance....he only goes for the cotton, below the ankle socks.

While I am bending over cleaning something on the floor, I have to watch out for him, he would sneak from behind and grab the paper towels from my hand.

Once I voiced my concerns about his sock fetish to the vet, he wasnt too concerned about that, only those long tube socks like the soccer or football players use, the vet stated they are the hardest to get out and surgery is necessary.

The smaller socks they can pass through (ick!) which may explain why at times I would find a mysterious ranky looking sock in his crate. Where did that come from ????

Too Funny !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts