German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I got a GSD puppy last week. She is 8 weeks old, 9 now. At night she either sleeps on my bed or in the bathroom on the tile. I’ve noticed that she paces at night, maybe to find a cool place, and pants like she just ran a mile. Tongue out and everything. Also when she sleeps her respiration’s are really fast. Is this normal? First GSD I’ve had.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Wow, she sounds stressed or uncomfortable?

Do you live in a hot climate? Mine will pant at night during the summertime (to cool off), but not when the weather is cool. He will also get up and move when the place he's laying on, gets too warm from his body.

Could she be pacing because she wants to go potty? Mine will only pace if he has to pee/poop/vomit, etc. ( But he's old, so maybe puppies are just more restless).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in So Cal, I usually sleep hot so the fan is 95% of the time on. I like my room in my house to run about 65-69 degrees. So windows open. So I don’t think it’s a heat thing. Maybe the bedding though. She’s also been drinking a lot, a lot lot of water. And licking herself. But no uti, took her and got that checked. Eventually she falls asleep on the tile in the bathroom. Maybe that’s just her comfort zone?

·
Registered
17 Posts
My GS puppy is now 11 weeks old and does the exact same thing. It's always after she just got done playing with our other dog for 45min straight. She will pant and breathe super heavy lying down. Also moves a lot to find a spot colder. We turn the fan on her and it helps. We also bring her water in the room with us to have easy access to. I was also worried as well at first but we told our vet and it's fine. No underlying issues and shes healthy as can be. Try to keep them cool as best as you can. For us it's only during that time. It was more when we first got her but I think she was still getting used to being with us and away from her mom.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Tile floors provide a cool spot for dogs that are overheated. I'm willing to bet it's a heat thing!
I had this with one of my dogs - she would not sleep on a dog bed, but preferred the tile floor in either the kitchen or bathroom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts