German Shepherds Forum banner

How many times has your GSD gotten Panosteitis (Growing Pains)

• Never

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • 1 Time

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • 2 Times

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 3 Times

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • 4 Times

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • 5 Times

Votes: 3 8.6%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

My POOR puppy Cody is now in the middle of his 4th bout of Pano. He is 1 year and 1 month.

Since he just can't seem to shake the growing pains i wanted to start a poll to see just how bad his luck is lol.

Please tell me (via vote) how many times if any your GSD got Pano while growing up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I said Harley had it 3 times but I honestly can't remember if it was 3 or 4. :confused: He had pretty much out grown it once he was about a year old.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi renee,

for both growing pups and adults. for example Cody is already up to 4 times, but could get one or two more bouts before 18 months. So, if Jake has had it twice so far please vote 2.

im trying to get a sense of how frequently other GSD's get it. With Cody in the middle of the 4th round, I'm just wondering if growing up is this hard for others... hehe

WhiteShepherds, doesn't it just break your heart to see them moaping around all sad and limping? Cody gets so depressed when he can't run/play

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
WhiteShepherds, doesn't it just break your heart to see them moaping around all sad and limping? Cody gets so depressed when he can't run/play
It was awful. All Harley wanted to do was run and play and we had to find a million different ways to keep him quiet and entertained. What are you giving him for it?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes entertaining is a challenge that's for sure....lots of bones/kongs and treat balls.

The Vet gave us Rimydal (not sure if the spelling is right). It's a pain killer/anti-inflamatory. The last few times we got it too, and it certainly helps after about 24 hours. he's normally on it for a week and then gets better.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Onyx had 4 bouts(2 severe) Karlo had 2.
Both raw fed~I didn't give rimadyl as I don't like the side effects. Vitamin C will shorten the length of the bout.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Onyx girl...what are the side effects? I didn't notice anything in Cody except a happier less limpy dog lol

So, who voted 5 i wonder?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
*Knocks on wood*

Stark has never had Pano and at 21 months I don't *think* he will.

Stark is raw fed, gets Vit. C (1000mg per day).

A friend of mine with a GSD who was a few months younger than Stark had it 5 times though, poor guy.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Elisabeth,

I've have to agree your Stark boy is out of the woods by now. My said said 18 months...

Throughout Cody's life he's been fed: Science Diet, BB LBP, Eukanaba, BB LBP, and finally TOTW.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I voted 3.
Chicago Josh, you can do a google search about the risks of rimadyl. Most dogs do ok~there is always that one though who will have problems with it. I wanted my dogs to self limit without drugs. After doing the C, which also is an anti-inflammatory the bouts were shortlived with Karlo.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'm "Knocking on wood" too as I say this at 8 months Frank has not had it yet, and I hope it stays that way.
He's been fed Eukanuba lg puppy till now, I'm switching him to Diamonds Natural lamb and rice lg puppy right now.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
From my research, lines and diet play a part in it. Though personally I think genetics are the big reason.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'll get to googling lol

hopefully Frank's luck continues

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, so i read that some dogs get a liver disease and die on Rimadyl. Now it said Millions have been sold and gave 3 examples.

Cody has already been on it 3 times and apparently to my eye is doing just fine. I tried to find more hard fact on how many dogs have experianced the side effects or death, but couldn't. I just saw 3 dogs. So, I'm not sure how common it is and if these few poor dogs had other issues going on....

glad you told me to read up by all means, but im wondering if Cody especially only being on it for a week will be just fine (plus he has in the past) BUT, i'd rather him be limping and in pain than dead obviously

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Our last GSD was on Rimadyl for a very long time for HD (on and off, not constantly) and she lived to be almost 12.

Harley took it while he had pano but only a half pill at the time and usually only took one or two when the pano was flaring up.

Like most drugs I think you have to weigh the good against the bad and don't misuse them. There are very few drugs that don't have side effects.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Don't know if Abby had it 4 times or one long session. Didn't really count. It came and went from 4 - 8 months and wasn't too severe, just apparent. Lucky? ....... I suppose so ....

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Jackson had something strange happen just the other day. He's 7.5 months. I thought I noticed him limping in the evening, and by bed time he was completley miserable, just CRYING like a baby! He couldn't even put any weight on his left front leg. I was in shock since there was no trauma to his leg that day. By the next morning he was completley fine! Could this have been pano, or the start of it? I thought it lasted quite a while, this was short lived, only a few hours?

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
One of my guys had it continuously from 4mo to 18mo. I entered 5 but it was more one looong continuous episode. We tried anti-inflammatories, but they upset his stomach and he completely stopped eating. One day he grew out of it.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Jackson had something strange happen just the other day. He's 7.5 months. I thought I noticed him limping in the evening, and by bed time he was completley miserable, just CRYING like a baby! He couldn't even put any weight on his left front leg. I was in shock since there was no trauma to his leg that day. By the next morning he was completley fine! Could this have been pano, or the start of it? I thought it lasted quite a while, this was short lived, only a few hours?
Could be pano but seems more likely a minor injury. Puppies heal so fast.
Good luck .......... that it doesn't recur.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts