German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So our pup 8 month GSD female, has HD. We spoke to 1 vet about possible surgeries and they suggested FHO or possibly stem cell.

The other surgeon wanted to wait to do any type of surgery, because he thinks it might be pano (growing pains). He gave us a prescription for rhmydal, but I heard those have some nasty side effects. I guess my question is, do you think she could be in pain from pano (very active) and maybe the hips don't hurt her as much as the pano does? I'm wondering if we should just give her the pain reliever for a while and see how she does.

Currently she is on glucosomine & GDP.

Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
How was the HD diagnosed....if not thru x-rays then I would not assume it is HD. Pano happens at the age your puppy is and usually can occur til around 2 yrs old.

I don't like giving pain relievers unless the dog is extremely uncomfortable. I'd rather have the dog self limit.
When my dog got Pano, I upped the vitamin C dose....it is an anti inflammatory and supports the immune system. And if your puppy does have HD, vitamin C supplement is important as well. Hope it is just Pano!

·
Premium Member
4,794 Posts
Good question! Was there x-rays?

There have been excellent results with an herbal formula specific for Pano called Pano Formula (4 oz $45 or 8 oz $82) at NaturalRearing.com :: Loading Website...

It contains the following certified organic herbs; Boneset; Blue Vervain; Comfrey; fenugreek; Goldenseal; Nettle; Mullein; Rose hip; and Sarsaparilla

You could also get Traumeel for really bad days.

The vitamin C is a good recommendation by Onyx (make sure it contains some natural C bio-flavonoids as the other "C's" are lab made). Start at a low dose and work up. A good rule of thumb is when you see really loose stool, cut back to previous amount, keep him on that for a while and then try to increase again. If loose stools again cut back and stay at that dose for THAT particular dog.

IMHO, I would not give my dogs Rymidyl.

Hope this helps!:)

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
Has she been on any pain meds? If so, don't give aspirin. IF not, a buffered aspirin is ok. I gave ascriptin(which is coated) to Onyx when she had several bouts and hers were severe.

As far as the C, go to a health food store or the 'natural' section of the grocery pharmacy and get citrus bioflavonoid. Start at 500mg given at am meal time and over a couple days up it to 500mg am and pm meal. I ended up giving about 2000mg daily to my male, but he was large and could handle it over time.

Like Momto2GSD's said, watch the poop, too much C can cause runny concretelike looking stool...it can be hard on the gut when the dog is getting use to it.

EsterC is buffered(easier on the gut) but has 55mg of calcium so young dogs shouldn't be given it.

What are you feeding? Make sure you offer an appropriate diet, with equal calcium and phosphorus levels.

I decided to feed raw when Onyx had her first bout, it didn't stop her from having more episodes/shifting legs, but I knew that I was giving her the proper cal/phos levels with the diet.
Genetics/structure and nutrition all play into it. In both of my dogs cases, I think it was their structure, they both grew fast and are fairly tall. Upping the C in Karlo's case shortened the bout, I never gave him pain meds.

·
Premium Member
4,794 Posts
Thank you everyone for the good feedback. Can you suggest a good vitamin c supplement?

These are "Professional" products....high quality from this particular site. I get all of our supplements here.
Vit. C with Bioflavinoids: 500mg capsules Vitamin C with Flavonoids 180 Vegetarian Capsules by Thorne Research
MSM: MSM 1000 mg 90 Capsules by Physiologics (340 mg's of it is organic) Give 1000 mg's daily. You can split this capsule into two feedings.
I would try the Pano Formula, Vit. C & MSM before giving the aspirin. Aspirin is tricky (can be toxic in some cases) and you should talk to your vet about it before using. I use a product with a natural form of asprin called White Willow (which I think someone mentioned) Bio-Allay 120 Capsules by Biotics Research Contains: White Willow, Devils Claw and Boswellia which are great for inflammation. Make sure you give with food. Just fyi, some dogs get an upset stomach with Boswellia.
Hope this helps!:)
http://www.pureformulas.com/bioallay-120-capsules-by-biotics-research.html#sthash.hIz8GjWw.dpuf

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She has never been on any pain meds before except DGP. We have x-rays and that's what prompted all of this...

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
Can you share the x-rays?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
NO aspirin, EVER! It amazes me that rimadyl gets such a bad hipe on this website yet aspirin is considered ok by many on here.

The risks to aspirin are much worse. I prescribe rimadyl every single day and RARELY see complications, usually just upset stomachs. I have seen dogs die from gastric bleeds caused by aspirin.

Zeke had pano at 9 months old and was given rimadyl for 5 days. It is a great anti inflammatory. If your dog is in pain - limping etc, it deserves pain medication. If you were limping around that bad you would want something for yourself.

These horror stories drive me nuts about rimadyl. They tell you all these bad cases but in reality those are RARE and usually there's an underlying issue. Truth is rimadyl is easily one of the most prescribed pain medications in the vet world. MILLIONS of dogs are on it, usually older dogs for years. And they do fine. Percentage wise, extreme side effects are rare.

HD is pretty obvious on xray. Im confused as to why one vet would think HD and one vet would think pano? Have the xrays been sent to a board certified radiologist? If not they need to be, and then you need to visit an orthopedic surgeon before considering anything farther.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
as a vet tech, you are allowed to prescribe meds?

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
as a vet tech, you are allowed to prescribe meds?
No. Vet Techs are not legally allowed to diagnose or prescribe meds. Only a licensed Veterinarian can.

That said, each state may have their own laws regarding what a licensed tech can do. But to my knowledge they can do neither of these things.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
No im sorry I was just shortening words. I FILL rimadyl prescriptions daily, no technician can legally prescribe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone,

My 7 month old gsd just started showing signs of pano. I am curious as to whether it can make dogs aggressive? Zeke is sleeping more often and limping a little bit and hasn't been eating very much, he just takes a few bites and lays down next to his bowl while my 2 year old female eats her meal. Today I left Zeke's food down next to him and walked away and my female walked by and layed down near him so he got up and started nipping at her. It looked vicious to me but I was thinking he was telling her to back off his bowl. He's never done this before other then a playful manner.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,794 Posts
Hey everyone,

My 7 month old gsd just started showing signs of pano. I am curious as to whether it can make dogs aggressive? Zeke is sleeping more often and limping a little bit and hasn't been eating very much, he just takes a few bites and lays down next to his bowl while my 2 year old female eats her meal. Today I left Zeke's food down next to him and walked away and my female walked by and layed down near him so he got up and started nipping at her. It looked vicious to me but I was thinking he was telling her to back off his bowl. He's never done this before other then a playful manner.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Although this is painful for them, sounds like he was guarding HIS food unless you've seen aggression in different circumstances.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts