German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
the only way you will get a definite answer is to xray. Puppies are sloppy movers when young. You can not tell by looking at a puppy whether his hips or good or bad.

Seek out your vet's advice

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
the only way you will get a definite answer is to xray. Puppies are sloppy movers when young. You can not tell by looking at a puppy whether his hips or good or bad.

Seek out your vet's advice
I agree. I was convinced Riley had HD. When he was younger he just seemed wobbly on the back legs. The x-rays and the ortho exam came back good for the hips. We have not ruled out ED yet, but he is doing better on the glucosamine and resting for now. We're also starting him on swimming.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dunno if this is an obvious tell-tale sign that he has Hip Dysplasia or not... but he's been doing is for a while. This video was taken the week of Fathers Day and has since continued til now. Progressively more noticeable now, along with a weird walk in the hind legs. This Sunday (July 14th) he will be 5mo. Took him for X-Rays but Vet said his hip isn't a defined as she'd like, but from what she can see he doesn't show any obvious signs of it on the x-ray.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was very dissatisfied with my Vets answer. Pretty much what it came down to was it "looks" like early stages of HD, but is treating it as such.

What do you guys think? This is the best picture I could take that kinda shows it clearly. I'll work on a better picture soon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,316 Posts
those hips don't look bad to me....I have not watched the video...but I would say they will pass prelims

OK - watched video - All I see in the video is a big, long limbed, loose, gangly puppy - nothing that looks like he is limping or in pain or favoring anything....

Lee

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Looks like a happy puppy to me. The X-rays are not that bad. Unfortunately many vets assume hip problems in young German shepherds before the bones and sockets are fully developed.
Bunny hopping is not indicative of HD. 5 months is too early to tell.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when do you guys suggest having him re-x-rayed??

I just switched him to Royal Canin GSD 24 Adult just as a precaution..

Breeder said 36% protein and 1.3% calcium were WAY too high for his age. So the new RC GSD 24 has only 24% protein (which in my opinion will keep him a little lighter on his feet in hopes it helps with joints)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts