German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think the pup is likely fine. When my adults were going thru puppyhood they walked odd but as they got bigger and grew into their bodies they were fine. I have a 11 month old now going thru the same thing although he is over the walk. I just figured he was trying to be a model. I would not panic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Occasionally sits with a leg outward, occasional bunny hop. That’s why I’m so concerned as well.
I think the pup is likely fine. When my adults were going thru puppyhood they walked odd but as they got bigger and grew into their bodies they were fine. I have a 11 month old now going thru the same thing although he is over the walk. I just figured he was trying to be a model. I would not panic.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
2 things: if you think your dog has a problem, go to the vet.

And stop throwing the ball. That won't help anything if something is wrong

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
When there's a limp, both pano and HD are diagnosed by x-ray. Pano usually shows up in the long bones as a darkened area of inflammation. HD requires an evaluation of the joint -- how the ball is sitting in the socket. Unless somebody here has x-ray vision, they're not going to be able to diagnose for you -- only speculate.

Juvenile oddities in gait can be skeletal deformities, injuries or even just plain old muscle tone (even imbalances in conditioning) -- or just lack of coordination during growth spurts. There's a lot of possibilities. You can't rule out the deformities without an xray, as you can even have several of these things going on at once. That's why crowd sourcing diagnosis is rarely productive -- it's great to come up with questions to ask the vet, but it's rarely going to do much beyond that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We went to the vet yesterday. Thank you for your concern.

Dogs are still able to play whether or not they have a condition?

I’m extremely educated on pano and HD. But there is no way of telling until X-rays or done. It could be nothing, it could be something. I want peoples personal takes on their experiences from both.
2 things: if you think your dog has a problem, go to the vet.

And stop throwing the ball. That won't help anything if something is wrong

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes thank you! I am aware it all takes X-rays to determine if there is anything, which he is scheduled to get done. We have gone to a vet. I’m not looking for a diagnoses, but people’s opinions and personal experiences from either or both.
When there's a limp, both pano and HD are diagnosed by x-ray. Pano usually shows up in the long bones as a darkened area of inflammation. HD requires an evaluation of the joint -- how the ball is sitting in the socket. Unless somebody here has x-ray vision, they're not going to be able to diagnose for you -- only speculate.

Juvenile oddities in gait can be skeletal deformities, injuries or even just plain old muscle tone (even imbalances in conditioning) -- or just lack of coordination during growth spurts. There's a lot of possibilities. You can't rule out the deformities without an xray, as you can even have several of these things going on at once. That's why crowd sourcing diagnosis is rarely productive -- it's great to come up with questions to ask the vet, but it's rarely going to do much beyond that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes thank you! I am aware it all takes X-rays to determine if there is anything, which he is scheduled to get done. We have gone to a vet. I’m not looking for a diagnoses, but people’s opinions and personal experiences from either or both.
How did the X-rays turn out?

My pup has a similar walk as yours and im wondering too.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I don’t see anything that looks like pano. When my puppy had an episode, it was as if he was walking over hot coals. He moved very gingerly, out his leg down very slowly, and could not run. He groaned when I touched the long bone of his leg. Pano moves from one leg to another.

How long are your walks? I never walk a dog over 1 mile at a time until 12 months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts