German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kona just went into her first heat (5 days ago) and the same exact day she came up lame in a back leg. It doesn't appear to be getting better, only worse. I've checked her foot, moved her leg around, pressed here and there. She doesn't react when I touch her or move her leg, but she is barely putting any weight on it. She's also not herself at all. Combination of her leg and heat, she's just laying around, acts very tired. Her mother apparently had pano issues associated with her heat cycles.

I have a vet appt. today actually to check her out to be safe. But if it does turn out to be pano, what are your experiences with it? Is there medication we could consider to help with the pain? How long does this usually last? I've raised two large breed puppies before Kona, but they never had this issue so I know nothing about dealing with it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Vasko has a similar issue with his front leg. When sitting hw would lift his paw up constantly. Vet gave him anti inflammatory for 10 days and it hasn’t come back yet.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I believe the typical vet recommendation is anti-inflammatories and restricted exercise. Katsu's litter mate and full brother from the first litter both had pano. It's just making them comfortable and waiting it out. It comes and goes up until, I think, 18 months (correct me if I'm wrong).

Katsu's first heat, she was pretty 'down in the dumps' the first few days. I wonder if they get cramps like us humans do.

I hope it's nothing more serious! Let us know what the vet said.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It is ALWAYS the best decision to have a vet give you a professional opinion when our pups act out of norm (such as limping), especially with this just to make sure it is what it is. :) I'm glad you are going to the vet.

Luna was diagnosed with pano in late January this year, at about 9 months old and just after her first heat as well. She had a slight limp that progressed to a full blown not using that leg at all limp in 2 days (while waiting for her appointment over the weekend.) They gave her anti-inflammatories and told us to keep her rested during them. It improved dramatically right after starting meds.

We went back a SECOND time 4 months later when she had a limp in her oppposite front leg, where x-rays confirmed pano again. Same treatment, but was told by this vet that I shouldn't be surprised if pano shows up in her different legs off and on throughout the next 6 months or so. :) There is a lot of information on this forum if you search for pano, and others experience. Luna did in fact experience it again two more time in her back leg, but she quickly recovered and didn't seem too affected by it. It came and went.

Don't worry too much if it is pano. Rest and wait.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update. Vet had a hard time getting a great range of motion because Kona locked her legs up tight. But she did get good enough, plus the fact that she doesn't have a fever, led to dx of pano. She had no other concerns. Just have to wait it out.

We intend to have her spayed after she's a year old and do elbow and hip x-rays at the same time.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My dog Drogo is an 8 month old German Shepherd. Back in September, he started limping on his front left paw. When we took him to the vet, he had a slight fever, so the vet suspected Pano and prescribed Carprofen for the pain. The lameness subsided until beginning of November when he started limping from the same leg again. XRays showed Pano in the same leg, so we kept him quiet (as quiet as we could) for four weeks until he had been symptom free for two. We brought him to play with his brother at my parents house this last weekend and he is limping yet again from the same leg.
My question is, does Pano typically last this long in the same limb? The vet also suspected OCD of the shoulder, or Elbow Dysplasia, but since the Xrays indicated Pano, we have been treating it as such.

I just thought Pano shifted from limb to limb; I didn’t think it would last three months on the same limb. Anybody with the same experience?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts