German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 8 month old who has been going through what was diagnosed as pano for the last week. The vet has given us Meloxicam for the pain that he is in but now he is not eating at all. He has already gone in for an anti nausea shot and they told us to give him an antacid as well twice a day. In the last week he has maybe eaten 3 cups of food if that. He is drinking water but that's about it. He is so weak and dropping weight like crazy.

At this point any recommendations of things that you found helpful would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,909 Posts
I would ask for a different pain med .The Meloxicam is wreaking havoc with his system.

·
Banned
2,016 Posts
I have never had problems with Meloxicam but every dog is different. If you confident your dog has been correctly diagnosed with Pano, he will be fine. It can be very painful for some dogs but they mature out of it and the condition resolves. Did you x-ray your dog’s dog if so, what did the x-rays look like?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never had problems with Meloxicam but every dog is different. If you confident your dog has been correctly diagnosed with Pano, he will be fine. It can be very painful for some dogs but they mature out of it and the condition resolves. Did you x-ray your dog’s dog if so, what did the x-rays look like?
Unfortunately I was not there during the appointment as my husband took him in so I’m not sure what had been done testing wise.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
I chose not to use pain meds too often because then my dog felt better, ran with pano, and felt worse. Can you talk to the vet by phone? I was given Rimadyl and used it very sparingly. If the pano lasts a while, your dog would be on the medication a long time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I chose not to use pain meds too often because then my dog felt better, ran with pano, and felt worse. Can you talk to the vet by phone? I was given Rimadyl and used it very sparingly. If the pano lasts a while, your dog would be on the medication a long time.
Right Right that makes sense!
Thankfully my husband was able to make an appointment tomorrow with our vet so fingers crossed we get some sort of game plan.

·
Super Moderator
5,845 Posts
If the dog isn't responding well to melocicam, there are other meds available that may work better with his digestive system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts