German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had a dog show the symptoms of pano almost constantly for a period of a couple of months or more. Rocky has been limping since I posted about it a couple of months ago (10-07-2010). He is eight months old right now, but weighs in at close to seventy five pounds. He has always had a small limp, but sometimes it is worse than others. Lately, his limp has been very slight, it is hard to tell, but I can see it. I also know it affects him, when I take him out to walk, he gets tired quickly, he can't run but for VERY short bursts.

I've taken him to two different vets, and both have said just wait it out, nothing can be done, except give him some Duramaxx whenever his limp is prevalent. He also has a bowleg (in my opinion).

He also doesn't eat all his food all the time, he doesn't seem as excited for it as other dogs that eat their food in two seconds. I've been trying to put him on a "diet", by which I just feed him about 1.5 cups twice a day instead of 2.5 cups.

I'm just wondering if he'll ever heal? Almost four months of limping, it just seems like there is no end in sight.

Attachments

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I would do as Lisa suggests, get him tested for tick disease.
Supplementing with vitamin C helps shorten the bouts as well, if it is Pano. Reduces inflammation and supports the immune system.
What are you feeding??

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been supplementing with glucosamine chondroitin and vitamine c since I've brought up the subject.

But I haven't tested for the tick diseases. We got x-rays done, and to the vets, it did confirm that it was pano. I have the x-rays, but I have no idea how I could even post them up on here, they are way too big for a scanner (haha).

How much are the tests for tick diseases usually run? Since I've already paid close $300 maybe $400 (can't remember off the top of my head), but I'm not in the biggest rush to go to the vet for a very slim 'maybe it could be this'. But if it isn't too expensive, I wouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
NOt sure the cost for the tick diagnosis, varies from vet.
You could take the films to your vet and ask them to use the lightbox they have, take digital pics of the x-rays and post them. I've never seen x-rays of a dog w/ Pano, it would be interesting to view.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog had pano on and off for 4 months. it started
when he was 4 months old and ended when he was 8 months.
i use to massage his legs with a towel filled with ice. sometimes
i just massaged his legs with my hands and no ice.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honest, I don't think many people could notice. I couldn't really, but I don't see details that well, maybe a disadvantage (advantage) of being a guy.

But supposedly, there are small dark spots on the bone, looks like someone touched the film with dirty fingers. I'll give them a call tomorrow and check out the price and schedule a time sometime next week.

Its just that he is ALWAYS limping, always on one of the front legs. But because of that detail thing I mentioned, it is hard to tell which one sometimes.

·
Registered
470 Posts
London had pano off and on for about 4 months. I was told to not run him (hard to do with a puppy) but he finally overcame the limp.

I had x-rays taken of all 4 legs just to prove to myself he did not have elbow dysplasia. His joints were/are perfect but it did prove to me that he had major pano.

I gave him fish oil tablets which are a natural anti-inflammatory.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
one of my now deceased males, had severe pano, more 'on' than 'off' until he was almost 3 years old..He conveniently used to have episodes when I'd have an appt to neuter him:) Strange that it is, when he was neutered FINALLY at 3, he never had pano episodes again

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Shane had pano at 4 months and lasted til he was six months old. Limited exercise, changed his food and gave him glucosamine supplements. Was only in the back legs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts