German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just now joining this forum today because our 14yo boy was just diagnosed today. ?. He was placed on optimune drops 2x a day, tobramycin drops 2x a day, and prednisone tablets. I am interested in any advice or feedback that any others have had with this disease. Any tricks to making eye drop time easier? Do they get used to them? Any feedback would be great!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Ziva gets tacrolimus and prednisone acetate drops once a day now. She started out with both twice a day. We've been giving the drops for a about 3 years now and she still doesn't like them. She isn't awful about them but all I have to do is pick up the bottle and she runs off. Once I get to her she sits and lets me put them in without a fuss and gets her treat. Getting used to the drops? I think it just depends on the dog.
I do find it easier to put the drops in if I can get her to sit between my legs and have her look up at me. One hand under the chin to hold her head back and just put the drops in. This is my sneak attack approach...lol! Only works if she doesn't see me get the drops.

It is likely once things get under control your vet will try to reduce the drops to once a day. Hopefully you will be able to eliminate the tobramycin and replace the oral prednisone with drops.
It is life long treatment. Our vet optho also recommend limiting ultraviolet light (sun exposure) as it does aggravate the condition. Doggles (doggie sunglasses) are suggested for prolonged periods outside. Especially in the summer months when the suns UV rays are stronger. If you take car rides and allow head out the window that should be stopped. The forcible wind on the eyes is very drying and worsens the already dry eyes. If your boy will wear doggles he can still enjoy having his head out.

Pannus isn't the worst thing and with proper treatment progression can be halted in most cases. As much as they don't like the drops you will notice that your boy will get a lot of relief from them. Less blinking and face rubbing and eye gubbers will pretty much go away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! I did find a thread on pannus, but didn't know how to delete mine. One thing I'm curious about is everyone on here is on the prednisone drops versus the pill. What is the benefit of the drops? He takes pills so easily! Thank you again!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Thank you so much! I did find a thread on pannus, but didn't know how to delete mine. One thing I'm curious about is everyone on here is on the prednisone drops versus the pill. What is the benefit of the drops? He takes pills so easily! Thank you again!
No need to delete your thread just because there are others. More threads... more and newer info available for future searches.

The drops keep the prednisone local to eye with far fewer if any side effects. Oral prednisone comes with a laundry list of side effects and are dose dependent on severity as well. A short course at low dose usually is pretty well tolerated. Higher doses come with higher risk of unwanted side effects.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess our vet gave oral prednisone rather than drops to start because the drops should be administered separately with a minimum of 5-10 minutes apart. You are already using two different drops and adding a third would make spacing the administration difficult for you and uncomfortable for you dog.
Depending on the severity of pannus and level of response to treatment some dogs can be weened off the prednisone altogether. Some dogs go on and off the prednisone. Usually with the changes of the season. My optho vet has many patients that only need the pred in the spring and summer months when allergens and increased sunlight cause a flare up of symptoms. My dog needs the pred year round.
The optimune will be lifelong. If response is good it may be reduced to once a day. It's likely once the eye tissue inflammation settles the tobramycin will no longer be needed.
Are you seeing a regular vet or a veterinary ophthalmologist?

·
Registered
99 Posts
When we adopted Ellie (5 to 7 year old estimate) and she had pannus. We put a cream in her eyes for about a year, then realized it was gone. I know it's not supposed to clear up, but it did. I kept her eyes clean with Bauch & Lomb eye wash (wet a folded tissue and wipe) and maybe that helped. I think maybe good nutrition and indoor life helped, too.

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
It can clear. Especially if you move to lower elevation (helped a lot) and limit mid day sun exposure. Also, getting it to back off & clear a bit happened with a visit to the optha. vet. That was 15 + years ago. I think general vets have the more powerful stuff available now. Current dog with it, being held in check with eye drops once a day or, if eye drops not available, cream.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts