German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious, since the topic of pannus is coming up more often, are there certain lines that the disease seems to be more prevalent in? Looking for specific lines, not just Czech, DDR, WGWL, WGSL, etc. If you have a dog who has been definitely diagnosed with pannus and wouldn't mind sharing a pedigree link here, I think it would be interesting to see if specific lines are coming up more frequently than others or if this is just a very random disease brought on by environmental circumstances.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Pannus is an autoimmune disease.

What causes it?
The exact cause of autoimmune disorders is unknown. One theory is that some microorganisms (such as bacteria or viruses) or drugs may trigger changes that confuse the immune system. This may happen more often in people who have genes that make them more prone to autoimmune disorders.

so I guess the answer is 'maybe'.

interesting...

·
Registered
10,591 Posts
Hans has had it for several years, and it came on suddenly.
One day he started pawing at his eyes and rubbing his face on his bed. I thought he had pinkeye.
Turns out it was atypical pannus, the kind that affects the membranes, not the eyeball.
He has to have two types of eye drops daily for life. Thankfully, those keep in in remission.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts