German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
I think they are fairly cool looking, but to me they don't look like a GSD at all. Just like a border collie mix. Really makes me mad seeing people purposely breeding for this!

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
yuck. It is one thing not to cull a dog due to aesthetics, but to show them?

·
Registered
31,367 Posts
Panda is a genetic mutation. there was one person on there that had one but I don't see her on anymore.

My understanding is that this is not the first time a "panda" has popped up in a litter but they were always killed before.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
yuck. It is one thing not to cull a dog due to aesthetics, but to show them?
I don't think everyone looks at them and says "yuck", but putting that aside, if she can show them, why not? I mean really, what's the harm?

Culling or hiding away a dog like what we now know as the Panda doesn't help anyone. Might as well study them and learn something new about genetics, DNA etc. if you can.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Pandas look like dogs you see down at the shelter. To me they look like mixed breeds. Like a Husky x GSD or something like that. Never really cared much for them from the pictures I've seen.

If a Panda is a genetic mutation from a German Shepherd, does that then make it a new independent breed?
I don't think so. Isn't dwarfism a genetic mutation? A dwarf GSD wouldn't be considered a different breed.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I don't think everyone looks at them and says "yuck", but putting that aside, if she can show them, why not? I mean really, what's the harm?

Culling or hiding away a dog like what we now know as the Panda doesn't help anyone. Might as well study them and learn something new about genetics, DNA etc. if you can.
I am not saying "yuck" with regards to the dogs themselves, but the idea of showing them.

Why not? If your breeding program was producing dogs with two tails, are you going to take them out and show them? I see you have white dogs. I do not have anything against white dogs, they have been around since the beginning. And white dog fanciers have made a place for themselves in the UKC and were accepted to show them, etc.

I see this as different. I am not completely convinced that this happened out of pure GSDs. But even if it did, the idea of breeding for this is repulsive, that is what is yuck.

·
Registered
31,367 Posts
True, Paul! But is a dwarf a genetic mutation or a chromosome mutation? I think there might be a difference on that level. A genetic mutation would make it a separate 'colony'. (watching a show last night on the Kongo river and it just got me thinking. Same 'breed' but genetically separate colony of fish.

but I guess a blue, sable, black and bicolor are all genetically different also...think I just answered my own question. :)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
If a Panda is a genetic mutation from a German Shepherd, does that then make it a new independent breed?

The Panda's on Phenom's site all seem be registered as GSD's. No idea if the plan is to eventually try and break off into a new breed. Except for the color I don't think the dogs are any different gentically than any other GSD.

I'm kind of glad the first pup fell into the lap of a breeder who was willing to have it looked into further. Can you imagine watching a litter be born and all of a sudden having a Panda pup pop out? That had to blow her mind for more than a minute or two the first time it happened.

Edit: If you click on the link in the OP there's a message from the veterinary geneticist who's studying the dogs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i must say it is weird seeing that coloring, especially the blue eyes on some of them. But none the less, they look pretty cool IMO. I say as long as you can find them a great home, who cares what they look like.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
i must say it is weird seeing that coloring, especially the blue eyes on some of them. But none the less, they look pretty cool IMO. I say as long as you can find them a great home, who cares what they look like.
Because they don't even have to be purposely producing them.

If it was a panda shepherd rescue, you'd have a point. These people are purposely breeding them.

·
Registered
31,367 Posts
The Panda's on Phenom's site all seem be registered as GSD's. No idea if the plan is to eventually try and break off into a new breed. Except for the color I don't think the dogs are any different gentically than any other GSD.

Edit: If you click on the link in the OP there's a message from the veterinary geneticist who's studying the dogs.

I've read it all before long ago. See my last post where I answered my own question. :)

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
The main reason why this is bad - it all goes back to a single dog that was bred SOLELY for their coloration.

ALL the White Dobermans out there can be traced back to a single bitch - who should never have been bred. Her coloration aside she had health and temperament issues.

Breeding a dog based on ONE aspect - like a deep red color or an extreme side gait or whatever - is BAD BREEDING.

Dogs aren't made up of just ONE aspect - they are a combination of MANY aspects.

What good is that deep, rich red color if the dog is a fear biter?

What good is that breath taking side gait if the dog is as dumb as a box of rocks?

What good is off-the-charts ball drive if the dog has bad hips??

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I think they're pretty.

Also, the dogs are being shown, clear health tests, are DNA tested to show people that they're GSDs and not a mix, and I saw that several of the dogs have certificates for passing a temperament evaluation from GSDCA. I don't think that's necessarily bad breeding.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I think they're pretty.

Also, the dogs are being shown, clear health tests, are DNA tested to show people that they're GSDs and not a mix, and I saw that several of the dogs have certificates for passing a temperament evaluation from GSDCA. I don't think that's necessarily bad breeding.
I didn't read through the details of their website, but where are they showing these dogs? This panda color isn't considered a disqualification or fault?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Where they're showing them - I don't know. I would guess maybe UKC or the American Rare Breed Association. If it is through ARBA, that does bug me a bit, considering they're registered as GSDs with the AKC, then they show them as a different breed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
They look less like gsds and more like husky/border collies/heeler mixes. Still, no good dog's a bad color.

And tbh, as long as the dogs are being bred with more in consideration thn just color, i don't see why not. There are lots of kennels focused specifically on producing dogs with Black and Red coats or Sable coats, focusing on producing panda coats should work on the same principle. Watch for too close genetic lines and breed with more in consideration thn just what color will come out.

As for showing them, why not? Showing them might serve to educate a few people on genetic traits.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts