German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My German Shepherd Nikita has a raw and sometimes bleeding nose (tip). Her tip of her nose is raw from the powder she has to have in her food.It splits and bleeds and suggestions? On how i can prevent or help her heal. been years and i still haven't found a solution

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it's pancreas powder x6. she get's a half teaspoon and fill her bowl with food and hot water and leave it sit for 20 min after i add the powder.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
If you use hot water, don't use hot tap water but heat cold water on the stove or in the microwave.

Make sure you mix the food, enzymes and water to coat all of the pieces.

The enzymes make them thirsty so make sure she has lots of water available. She also will need let out more often because of it.

After she eats, cut up a hot dog add a few pieces, or bits of some other tasty treats, into her water bowl. It is best that whatever you use sinks so she has to dip her nose in to rinse it off.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I don't want to be rude or ignorant but is this for the dog pictured in your other thread? The one with the pretty face?

If so, I am not sure why you are feeding her the enzymes. Is she under a veterinarian's care?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
A
I don't want to be rude or ignorant but is this for the dog pictured in your other thread? The one with the pretty face?

If so, I am not sure why you are feeding her the enzymes. Is she under a veterinarian's care?
Actually, I was wondering the same thing. The dog in the last few pictures appears overweight to me.

What has your Vet said over these past years?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
OP, there are other causes, not related, that could be causing the nose issues. Best to have your Vet evaluate that...online, we can't tell, and even guesses are likely to be off.

Take your dog to the Vet...

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Yes it's pancreas powder x6. she get's a half teaspoon and fill her bowl with food and hot water and leave it sit for 20 min after i add the powder.
I assume she has EPI?

Hot water can actually destroy the enzymes. You can try letting it sit a little longer before you feed her, feeding her on a plate so she doesn't stick her nose in it, rinsing or wiping her nose after eating.

Also we have noticed that different brands of enzymes will cause sores, while others don't. We currently use Pan-tenex and have no issues. Pan-tenex™ Enzymes For Dogs | 10x Highest Potency

EPI4dogs has a lot of good info: Epi4Dogs - Search

This nose butter has a lot of good reviews, I've used it many years ago: NOSE BUTTER® Soothes Your Dog's Dry Nose

1 - 12 of 12 Posts