German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking of applying for a PAL for my 9 month old black rescue gsd. The vet and humane society did think he was a gsd with no mixing at four months old and he still looks like every other black gsd I've seen at his age.

What goes on with the PAL application and has anyone registered a black gsd puppy under the PAL side of the AKC?

I want to able to do the CGC training and test and is it a requirement for him to get a PAL to participate?

Are they okay with "clicker" training?

Sorry for all the questions I just have a lot of them that weren't answered by the AKC website.

-Angela

·
Registered
32,564 Posts
All they want is a front picture, a side picture, proof of neuter/spay and the application fee.

These are the pictures I used for Jax

The CGC is done without any training aids. How you train for it is up to you. It is not a requirement of the PAL.

With a PAL, you can participate in any AKC event except confirmation.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so for the proof of spay/neuter would a copy of the medical record the humane society gave me stating he had his neuter suffice? They neutered him the day before I adopted him so I don't have like a receipt for it and it was included in the adoption fee.

And thank you for the pictures :) very helpful. I was afraid they'd want him stacked which he refuses to do.

·
Registered
32,564 Posts
Yes. You should have a neuter certificate signed by the vet that did the neuter. If not, call the shelter and find out where the vet is that did it. I don't remember if I had to send a copy of the cert or if a vet just needed to sign on the application stating she was spayed. Read the app and see what it says.

As far as the pics, get it as straight a shot as possible and have a contrasting background like above.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I'm sure you can get the application itself right off the AKC website, it will tell you all you need to know, (Jax covered it quite well!) fill out the app, send in your pics and copy of proof of spay, fee and your all set:)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
You don't need any AKC registration to do the CGC test, any dog can take it as long as they have the vaccinations required.

However if you want the CGC *title* (as in, have it listed with AKC after your dog's name officially) I think you do need to have a PAL, AKC registration, or Canine Partners... You also pay extra for the title. However I think if you pass the CGC before you sign up for PAL you can still get the CGC title later.
If your dog is not registered, you still get a certificate that your dog passed.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My oldest dog is registered. I think that I just marked on the application that she is spayed??? I had to have because she had that number way before the first time she ever went to a vet for anything and I got her at a shelter.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Not to hijack, but if I ever want to compete with Kaiser in, say, AKC agility, I'll have to get him PAL/ILP registered...which means...he has to be neutered? Is there no other way to register a dog (he's from police k9 lines, no papers though) without having to neuter him?

·
Registered
32,564 Posts
A PAL/ILP required the animal to be spayed or neutered. You can compete in DOCNA, ASCA or other organizations possibly.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Not to hijack, but if I ever want to compete with Kaiser in, say, AKC agility, I'll have to get him PAL/ILP registered...which means...he has to be neutered? Is there no other way to register a dog (he's from police k9 lines, no papers though) without having to neuter him?
Yes, it is a requirement for a PAL that the dog be altered. Same for a Canine Partners (mixed breed) listing.

Just go to the PAL/ILP section of the AKC website, and you can read the requirements and download the application.

They also need to be altered for a UKC Limited Privilage listing.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
A PAL/ILP required the animal to be spayed or neutered. You can compete in DOCNA, ASCA or other organizations possibly.
Thanks for the info. I don't want to neuter Kaiser unless he has some sort of behavioral/medical problem. I see that my decision may very well limit what I can do with him though :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
Question for possible PAL application. I got from a dog pound in Atlanta (Fulton County Animal Services). I've taken him to a couple of vets in the area, all of whom have commented that he is "clearly a purebred" GSD, probably around 9 months old. I want to do the PAL application so that he has access to the obedience, rally, and other cool events that will keep him active and healthy. He does, however, have a "soft" ear. It stands up sometimes, but not all the time. Is it likely he'll be disqualified for this "soft" ear?

Here are some photos of him (still thin from being a stray/underweight, had him one month). I got one with his ears up, but unfortunately he's not standing so I can't use it. :(

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1189825/2013-11-18 12.52.30.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1189825/2013-11-18 13.07.33.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1189825/2013-11-18 12.52.30.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1px5wyxn2tws1g/2013-11-18 13.07.33.jpg

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
You should be fine with a soft ear, and based on those pictures I don't imagine you'd have much trouble getting a PAL/ILP registration for your dog. They're really not that strict when it comes to those listings -- you can't breed the dog, so the AKC doesn't care that much. I have two friends who got known mixes certified as "purebred" (in one case the dog was actually first registered as a mix and then re-registered under PAL).

Sometimes I think I should have registered Pongu as a fake Beauceron because the Canine Partners certificate (i.e., the one you get if you have a mutt that is too obviously a mutt to even pass under PAL) just looks insultingly goofy. The PAL certificate is much more dignified. :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
We usually just call him "Ben", but do we have to register him under his full name, "Baron Benfried vom Pupper the Magnificent"?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Register him under whatever name you want to appear on his title certificates. Most event entries will ask you separately for the registered name and the "call name" (whatever you actually call your dog), but the registered name is the formal version that appears on formal paperwork and title certificates.

Again, for PAL/ILP/Canine Partners listings, you can make up pretty much anything that doesn't include certain hot button words the AKC doesn't want to allow. They won't let you call your dog OTCH MACH REALKENNEL'S SUPER STUD UDX RAE -- you can't have title abbreviations, you can't have kennel names, and you can't have words like "stud" that imply your paper-less unpedigreed dog is available for breeding.

But beyond that you can call your dog whatever you want.

I finally registered Pongu as PONGU THE INSANE (I didn't put it in all caps, the AKC does that) for his AKC paperwork, because screw it, I've wanted to register him as Pongu the Insane forever and I never had the guts to do it in any previous registry. But it just feels right to do that with the AKC, because lol @ AKC forever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Awesome. We'll see if Benny's Mommy will let me...or if I get hold of the paperwork first. :D

It does look better in all caps:

BARON BENFRIED VOM PUPPER THE MAGNIFICENT!

I hope they allow punctuation.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Merciel, can you tell us what all the abbreviations for your pets are? We're total newbies to the dog world (apart from being dog lovers of old). Ben the pound puppy is our first family pet. We don't know the lingo yet! :)

Are these titles or references to awards?

ARCHX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RL1X3, RL2X2, RL3 (AOE) (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, NTD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
They're all titles. :)

Broken out, they'd be:

APDT Rally Champion Excellent
Trick Dog Champion
[Pongu the Insane]
Companion Dog - CDSP
Rally Champion Level 1 x3 (meaning he's gotten this championship three times over)
Rally Champion Level 2 x2 (he's gotten this one twice)
Rally Level 3 title with Award of Excellence (all qualifying scores above 190)

Crookytail has novice titles in APDT/World Cynosport Rally and Trick Dog. He's kind of the Forrest Gump of dogs so he pretty much flunks out after getting novice titles in whatever.

I actually don't compete in AKC yet (the reasons for this are a long story, some of which you can get in my Fearful Dog thread in the Obedience/Rally subform on this board; the rest of the story hinges on some idiosyncratic performance goals I have). I just registered Pongu via Canine Partners last month so we could start doing AKC events in 2014.

My mutt monsters are currently active in three registries:

World Cynosport Rally: https://www.rallydogs.com/index.cfm

Companion Dog Sports Program (competition obedience): CDSP Home Page

Trick Dog: Trick Dog Title

...and Crookytail is training in agility with an eye toward eventually participating in Canine Performance Events (CPE), probably late 2014/early 2015: Welcome to Canine Performance Events, Inc.

There are a TON of different performance venues out there to choose from. Which ones you pick will depend mostly on where you're located, what sports you want to do, and what atmosphere you're most comfortable with.

For example, CPE is widely reputed to be the most newbie-friendly of the major agility venues in the U.S., whereas USDAA is generally considered the most Seriously Serious venue. So if you're new to the agility world (as I am) and your dog is not particularly athletic (as Crookytail is), then CPE may be the best fit for a low-pressure fun venue.

On the other hand, if you're racing one of the fastest Border Collies in the country and you are a national-level agility handler (*cough* my cousin *cough*), then maybe you might gravitate more toward USDAA.

AKC is the hardest of the obedience venues and toward the harder end of the agility venues. AKC Rally is generally considered pretty easy relative to APDT/WCR Rally. They all have very slightly different sport cultures, although there's an absolute ton of overlap (most people compete in multiple venues) so this isn't like a hard and fast rule or anything.

I'm not sure if that answers your questions or just makes for a whole lot more confusion, but hopefully it helps in some sense! Dog sports are a TON of fun and wonderful for bonding with your new pet, and I strongly encourage reading through some of the subforums for any of the ones that might interest you. And ask lots of questions, people love talking about their sports. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts