German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ack-just a warning. Ran into this with some folks I know who have no business selling their services. Barely train one dog with precious little actual field experience now charging others to train their dogs. [in this case I know neither individual has actually *found* any one or any HR on a search]

Most good trainers will help you without charging for their services or may charge a seminar fee for a group of people etc., particularly if they have to travel to you,but very wary if an individual will help you train your dog for a fee...or will train your dog for you.

All I can say is ask for references. Get credentials. Expect some longevity - a few years training your own dog does NOT make you a trainer of other people's dogs and their handlers. That kind of experience may allow you to "help out" with new team members as by training you also learn....

·
Registered
115 Posts
We have a handful we have come across, but the ones we aren't able to warn, generally figure out pretty quick they are in the wrong place. We have more problems with some of those with "credentials" (loosely), who charge a fortune for training and the handler team ends up with more problems than they started with.
There was a group that put on a training session in Sevierville not too long ago. From what I understand their spotlight time was short lived.
Unfortunately these people often prey on the ambitious handler wanting to learn.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts