German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD is about to turn 9 months old and is still intact... He has started trying to mount one of our neutered males(different breed and they have always gotten along very well), they are also a bit over a year apart in age. I don't want this to escalate anything so should I be stopping this behavior, should I be correcting for it? So far he hasn't shown any aggression that I noticed, before he tried mounting today he was first trying to initiate play. I was going to wait until he was a little bit older to neuter but is this a sign I should do it sooner? My breeder didn't want me to do it before he turned 18 months. I've just never had an issue like this with my other dogs so I'm not quite sure how to handle it. Any advise would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
This is very normal behavior for a young intact male dog. Often they get overstimulated while playing and they express that through mounting. It is also a bit of play for dominance.

I would give a quick "ahh" and remove him from the situation, do a bit if obedience with both dogs, then let them play again.

Your boy is hard core in his teenage years, now us the time to reinforce leadership, and up the obedience and structure and you will make it through to the other side!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Agree with post before mine. Its totally normal, but definitely nip it in the bud now. I gave a verbal correction when he would do it, and I havent had any issues. He doesnt hump anything, and he's intact still.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah this mounting one of our other dogs literally just started yesterday and I worry with them being males and so close in age... I would like to avoid crate and rotate in the future. My other male did not appreciate it and snapped/nipped him, so I will be paying far greater attention now! Ah the joys of males... :) Otherwise though we haven't had any issues with him being intact except being a bit boisterous in his teenage stage. I have been slacking in his NILIF though because he was doing so well, I will change that and we're getting ready to start another OB class... Perfect timing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts