German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up our new 8 week old puppy this past weekend. We have an 11 year old lab and a 5 year old half lab half shepherd. I thought for sure my 5 year old would be over the moon about the puppy, he has loved every other dog he comes in contact with. My older dog can't play as much anymore and my 5 year seemed to be getting bored. It went the complete opposite. My 5 year old snarls at the puppy, and know this is part of figuring out a new pecking order, but he wants nothing to do with him. My older dog will play with the pup when the 5 year old isn't around and will tolerate the pup biting and pulling on his tail/ears.

How long can it take for the 5 year old to accept the puppy? Is it possible they won't get along? What can I do to help the process?

·
Super Moderator
6,412 Posts
You can help by not forcing it.Don't allow the puppy to badger the 5yr old.They'll adjust in their own time.Use baby gates,x pens,or whatever so they can exist peacefully until they all figure things out in their own time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome this is what I have been doing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can help by not forcing it.Don't allow the puppy to badger the 5yr old.They'll adjust in their own time.Use baby gates,x pens,or whatever so they can exist peacefully until they all figure things out in their own time.
Definitely not trying to force it. But it really took us by surprise. He is always happy to see other dogs and our neighbors visit with theirs frequently. But since we stepped out of the car with the pup he has kept his distance, like he knew right away this one was staying. It was very odd.

·
Super Moderator
6,412 Posts
It's different when they become a member of the already established pack,lol!I've observed several of these transition periods with my dogs.Sometimes it takes several weeks.

Reactions: wolfy dog

·
Super Moderator
7,352 Posts
You mention he’s liked every dog.... puppies are different. They’re rude and annoying. Some dogs enjoy or at best, tolerate puppies... others don’t.

All of that said, yes, there is absolutely a chance that the two will merely coexist. This is why folks here constantly advise against getting a dog as a companion for your existing dog.

I have two boys now that will play together on the rare occasion - usually a brief wrestle at the beach or on a hike... otherwise they each have their own relationships with me and could easily do without the other.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You mention he’s liked every dog.... puppies are different. They’re rude and annoying. Some dogs enjoy or at best, tolerate puppies... others don’t.

All of that said, yes, there is absolutely a chance that the two will merely coexist. This is why folks here constantly advise against getting a dog as a companion for your existing dog.

I have two boys now that will play together on the rare occasion - usually a brief wrestle at the beach or on a hike... otherwise they each have their own relationships with me and could easily do without the other.
What does the coexisting look like? I mean, do they snap at one another? Do they ever lay together? We have had 4 dogs at one time and my grandma use to breed, but I've never seen an adult act this distant to a pup.

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
A new puppy is like Dennis the Menace to the adult dogs. If the older dogs are socially skilled and appropriate they will teach the pup. It doesn't go gently and pups tend to scream like they just lost an eye. But I keep a new pup separate from the others for a few weeks as well. Then gradually ease them into it.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
When I got my WGSL puppy, my golden retriever hated him. With a passion. To be fair, he was an obnoxious brat and it took a while for him to calm down and leave her alone. It took over three months before I started to notice that she was starting to like him. She would actually let him lay within 5 feet of her! By the time he died 5 months after coming home, she did like him, and we noticed that she missed him a lot as well. She still wags her tail ferociously whenever I get out his old collar and let her smell it. It may take time for your dog to like the new pup.

Reactions: wolfy dog

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
It must of took three months for Topper older chihuahua to get to our gsd pup and had to teach max not to harass our chihuahua. It took max three days to get used to our new gsd pup Luna and Luna did not bother much with harassing our chihuahua as she has max to play with. They all get along good topper our chiahuaha will just remind the shepherds not to get to much in his face.
https://instagram.com/p/BiAiR8Ulo-K/

·
Super Moderator
7,352 Posts
What does the coexisting look like? I mean, do they snap at one another? Do they ever lay together? We have had 4 dogs at one time and my grandma use to breed, but I've never seen an adult act this distant to a pup.
In my situation there is no “negative” side to their coexisting arrangement (so no, snapping at each other is not allowed)... they merely keep to themselves and respect each other’s space. I jokingly say that they lay together on accident... they will sleep side by side if space is limited, but they don’t cuddle or seek out each other’s company.

To me, it’s rather pleasant, and not as stone cold as it sounds - like I said, they play but it’s rare, and they’re cordial, just not BFF (although being the more social & “doggie” of the 2, I think Tilden wishes they could have been). Tilden was 7yrs and Keystone was 7months when Keys joined the family. Generally speaking, neither of my boys are fond of young puppies.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
In my situation there is no “negative” side to their coexisting arrangement (so no, snapping at each other is not allowed)... they merely keep to themselves and respect each other’s space. I jokingly say that they lay together on accident... they will sleep side by side if space is limited, but they don’t cuddle or seek out each other’s company.

To me, it’s rather pleasant, and not as stone cold as it sounds - like I said, they play but it’s rare, and they’re cordial, just not BFF (although being the more social & “doggie” of the 2, I think Tilden wishes they could have been). Tilden was 7yrs and Keystone was 7months when Keys joined the family. Generally speaking, neither of my boys are fond of young puppies.
My current pair is somewhat similar. When I first brought home pup I had 2 adults. They both sort of hated him at first. They both growled at him and acted like they wanted nothing to do with him. I kept them separate. It took about 2 weeks for the old male to come around and then they became inseparable.

I deliberately didn't encourage a relatio ship with the female because she does not have good bite inhibition when she is mad.

The old male died unexpectedly when pup was about 9 mos. At this point I began letting pup and female start to spend more time together. He was big enough at this point if she got mad at him he could take it. It happened once or twice. He wasn't changed by the experience....i still police her to be sure she isn't being a you know what.

So, he wishes they were besties. She thinks he is stupid and would be happy if he just disappeared. He would love to snuggle with her and she thinks touching gives her cooties. He did snuggle with my other male dog, they played every day, I think the pup thought that was his daddy.

She is not unwilling to play with the boy ever, she is just too old. She will try to play with him and almost immediately it's too much for her.

In his dream world she is young and would play for hours and then let him spoon her on the couch.

But they don't seek each other out either, there is nothing they really want to do together. They both walk with me. They sniff stuff togerher. He knows she won't lay with him or play with him so he doesn't bother. It's fine. They are happy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had two adult dogs when I brought the pup home. My old girl 12ish at the time, sniffed and then wanted nothing to do with him. I strongly believe she feels she is too old to deal with these puppy shenanigans again (she's been around for 3 of my parents' pups, and now 2 of my own). If he respected her space, she was ok with him. Sometimes he was a pushy, bitey brat, and she would bark very loudly right in his face. He would back away. After about a month, she would allow him to cuddle her. This is still the extent of their relationship. He can sleep with her, he may not bite or play with her. She makes the correction, I trust her to use appropriate force.
My 5 year old dog, was wary of the bouncey beast. Within a day or two they were playing and carrying on. I've noticed as Sitka gets bigger and stronger, Ruger gets a bit more rough with him, putting him in his place. They're have a playful relationship, like two big bratty brothers. Ruger wouldn't let anything happen to Sitka. I've seen him step between my parents dogs when they were getting a bit rough with Sitka. I like their bond, except when we are doing training (ob, and manners). I keep them separated.
I've never kept my dogs separated on a regular basis.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts