German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to my Piss Poor Planning (PPP) Kaizer is going to run out of food about a day early then when i will be able to pick it up from my pet store. What could i feed him for that day to hold him over until his new bag comes in? He eats Orijen LBP and about 3 2/4 cup a day and gets fed twice a day so if anyone has any suggestions on what and how much to feed him i would really appreciate it. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Why not make a special trip to the pet store, dogs are like babies they get used to being fed and expect the same everyday! I used to have to drive 60 miles for cat food and if the dog got in it and ate it all I dropped what I was doing to go get the food. On the otherhand you could always ask a breeder what they would reccomend.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well conisdering i live in the worse state ever (Delaware) there arent a lot of options when it comes to finding pet stores that sell the "premium" food. And im sorry but the way gas prices are right now im not driving 60 miles to get a 15lb bag when a day later im going to be recieving one from the pet store thats over 95% shorter driving distance to me thats dumb. Hence why i asked what i could feed him to hold him over for a day until his food comes in

If someone has any other suggestions i would appreciate it. Thank You.

·
Registered
524 Posts
maybe a special homemade meal? Like some cooked chicken, or hamburger with some yougurt or cottage cheese mixed in and even an egg? Just give smaller meals than normal (little less won't hurt him for one day) and less chance of causing a stomach upset.

Or I'm sure he'd like a trip to McDonalds!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I second Phay's suggestion. We've been in the same boat when both of the 2 stores that carry our food have already sold out everything by the time I get there. Delivery day is Wednesday and I've learned that I can't wait until the weekend if I want to be sure they'll have a bag in stock. For me, the only other option to get their food means driving to NJ. I've done the cooked chicken and cottage cheese menu without any issue - actually, the dogs LOVE the change.

Are you worried about stomach upset? Do you still have some of his food? Maybe you can make it stretch for the extra day by adding cooked chicken or hamburger . . .

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im really not worried about stomach upset as i have switched from a couple of foods cold turkey and he seems to do fine. I have maybe 3 more cups as of now so what i will prolly do is give him bout half a cup and some bolied chicken and then some chicken and bolied rice for the next meal. I still have hotdogs and a pig ear he can eat too if i get desperate lol.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
don't be cheap when it comes to your dog. take the drive and get his food. when our dog food is below half-full i start thinking about getting a new bag. so, put the dog in the car and take a nice drive and buy him something when you get there other than the food. in the mean time how about some chicken and rice (brown rice), ground beef and plain yogurt, scraps from the refrigerator. go to a deli and buy some roast beef (sliced thin) or turkey or chichen. when you go to the supermarket buy some chicken and ground beef and freeze it so you can have it one hand for these times when you run short of food. how is it you don't know what to do for your dog if you run short of food?????
Originally Posted By: jdp2134Well conisdering i live in the worse state ever (Delaware) there arent a lot of options when it comes to finding pet stores that sell the "premium" food. And im sorry but the way gas prices are right now im not driving 60 miles to get a 15lb bag when a day later im going to be recieving one from the pet store thats over 95% shorter driving distance to me thats dumb. Hence why i asked what i could feed him to hold him over for a day until his food comes in

If someone has any other suggestions i would appreciate it. Thank You.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey first of all we all arent made of
money so you know what i dont have resources to go drive for 40+ miles to get some dog food from a diff. pet store that is coming in the next day to my reg. pet store that is why i asked for holdover food. Idk if you watch the news or not or even fill up a gas tank but the prices are outrageous

Second of all im askin suggestions in to what i could feed him sure i could
feed him whatever i want but considering the breed and the high demand i ask people on here who are more experienced with this breed that way i can make a better decison.

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I would suggest for next time leaving the vulgar language somewhere else to get additional replies....this is a quality forum so let's keep it that way please.
Next I would recommend rationing the remaining dog food and mixing it with chicken until the food comes in. Or just the chicken like you said you were going to do.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Scrambled eggs or hard boiled eggs are always a good one too. They love them! Some overcooked rice works too with sweet potatoes and potatoes. Rafi eats Orijen plus homemade food and he does fine on it. Just make sure you add extra water and cook the rice longer if you go that route.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It rubbed me the wrong way. Sorry but driving 40+ miles for a bag of dog food that my reg. pet store is going to be getting in the NEXT day is plain idiotic. And i stated that in my answer in the first few posts so either read my whole post and comment from there or dont post at all.

But thanks for all the suggestions you guys have given me. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
You'll find that we all are extremely passionate about our dogs and when it comes to food we are even more so. I don't think it was a personal attack on you it was a general how the forum feels about food issue. If you have enough food, and you said you have 3 cups worth, then add boiled chicken and rice to it. I would stay away from pigs ears - can cause intestinal issues and very high in sodium. You'll find if you read prior posts in the diet section, you'll get as many ideas/suggestions/recommendations to food or dietary changes as there are members to this forum.

And, your post rubbed me the wrong way. While I have a sailors mouth and am married to a fire fighter hence I hang out with a lot of guys and to stay alive I need to really stand up, a public forum is no place for the language you have used. There is a "censored" icon to use (and I've used it quite often) which will get your point across just as well. You do know there are teenagers and younger on this forum, please be respectful.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
first of all kill the foul language. i assure you i love cursing and insulting people and talking down to them so you can imagine what i'm thinking of you!!! i read your entire post and my comments remain the same. that don't post at all comment after reading your post, well that's a feeble, sophomoric, whimpy-whinny retort. you know "this is my post and if you don't answer the way i like don't post". get a better job so you can afford a dog. do try my food suggestions i think you'll find them helpfull. (_X_).
Originally Posted By: jdp2134It rubbed me the wrong way. Sorry but driving 40+ miles for a bag of dog food that my reg. pet store is going to be getting in the NEXT day is plain idiotic. And i stated that in my answer in the first few posts so either read my whole post and comment from there or dont post at all.

But thanks for all the suggestions you guys have given me. I appreciate it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts