German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad just brought his friend home. He's from Georgia and will be staying here a few days. Ozzy normally loves everyone and is eager to greet everyone. However, as soon as his friend Keith offered Ozzy his hand to sniff, Ozzy backed away and ran. He's NEVER done this.
Right now they're in the kitchen talking and I'm in the living room. He keeps going back and forth. He'll stand in the kitchen door and just watch him. When he'll talk to him, he'll run back to me. He's not even interested in his bully stick, and he's been chewing on it all day long.

He will not let him pet him. Why would Ozzy single this one person out and not like him?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
How old is ozzy now? Isn't he around 8 months? Could just be a fear period he's going through. Perfect time to work on socialization.

Maybe have your dads friend break out some of ozzy's favorite treats and see if he goes for them. Have him throw a couple on the ground. Let Ozzy know he's a friend and not someone to be afraid of because of all the treats he has. If he does go for them, throw a couple more.

Don't push anything if ozzy is still resistant and definitely don't coddle him if he is showing that he's scared. Just ignore the behavior.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Did you notice anything unusual about Keith's body language or attitude? Something about him or his demeanor may have bothered Ozzy, as dogs are more perceptive about people, in my opinion, than we are. Does the guy like dogs? I also believe animals know who likes them and who genuinely doesn't. I'd think hard about the incident and try and remember what, if anything, was off about the guy.

Otherwise, considering his age, he's just in the fear period. Even confident pups suddenly go through this weird fear phase when they reach a certain age. So it's important to find a medium between supporting him and boosting his confidence by being encouraging and patient, and by not overly sympathizing and avoiding things altogether. It'll pass.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He just turned six months. I think he likes animals. He's crazy about my sugar gliders. I can't really think of anything that was off. He got a bit accumulated to him last night and a little bit this morning, but as soon as he changed, he was back to being afraid of him. He barked at him and ran when he bent down to pet him. (Since he was starting to be okay with him). He's never barked at anyone before. :(

I just ignore him when he acts like this so I don't encourage him, but it's sad for me to watch. I'm going to take some of his treats and see if he'll take them from him. He wouldn't take his bully stick from me with him around, so we'll see.

·
Registered
728 Posts
A large man bending over a tiny puppy can be intimidating to said puppy, imagine a giant stranger towering over you, and during your fearful period, no less! Ask Keith and other newbies to instead kneel down to Ozzy's level when they offer treats, and instead of petting them on the back, have them scratch him under his chin or chest.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i would say either fear period or there is something off about your dads friend that ozzy see's but you dont.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I would tell dads friend to just ignore Ozzy. Let Ozzy go to him on his terms. If friend is willing, have him carry a few treats(or have some handy) for Ozzy, when Ozzy does approach he will be rewarded, but don't have the friend pet him yet. Let Ozzy decide if/when he wants it.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking it might be his voice, because he has a deep, booming voice. Ozzy seems to show interest in him until Keith shows interest in him back. When I get home I'll see if Keith will mind offering him treats.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Does your dads friend need a shower. just kidding... Sometimes dog just pick up on something or the person is somehow intimidating. Best like mentioned to just ignore and let ozzy do what he wants.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Did you notice anything unusual about Keith's body language or attitude? Something about him or his demeanor may have bothered Ozzy, as dogs are more perceptive about people, in my opinion, than we are. Does the guy like dogs? I also believe animals know who likes them and who genuinely doesn't. I'd think hard about the incident and try and remember what, if anything, was off about the guy.

Otherwise, considering his age, he's just in the fear period. Even confident pups suddenly go through this weird fear phase when they reach a certain age. So it's important to find a medium between supporting him and boosting his confidence by being encouraging and patient, and by not overly sympathizing and avoiding things altogether. It'll pass.
I couldn't agree more, some people just tend to set off certain dogs, it is usually something behaviorwise that people don't even realize...like they said above, have him extend the olive branch by tossing her a couple of her favorite treats, eventually she should come up and take them from his had.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My thoughts exactly!

I would tell dads friend to just ignore Ozzy. Let Ozzy go to him on his terms. If friend is willing, have him carry a few treats(or have some handy) for Ozzy, when Ozzy does approach he will be rewarded, but don't have the friend pet him yet. Let Ozzy decide if/when he wants it.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Keith went home already (I thought he was going to be here longer). Ozzy got more accustomed to him. They were playing fetch, which obviously required Ozzy bring him the ball. And given that fetch is his favorite thing in the whole wide world, Ozzy grew to like him a bit more in the short amount of time that he was here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts