German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had a male dog so I have no idea what to expect. and that was 7 years ago... I have no recollection.

the closest is my cat and frankly, she's tiny and doesn't go outside to pee.

Tomorrow is our appointment with a new vet for a general exam and to discuss the spay. I don't know what to expect in terms of after care and how long she'll be woozy, in pain, not herself, etc. I know the vet will give me this information, I'd just be interested to hear it from some BTDT cases. From the owners perspective. the vet doesn't go home with the pups.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My dog was woozy just the first night I brought her home. After that...she was ready to be a maniac again. LOL As for pain, she didn't seem like she was in any...I was giving her rimadyl. I did have her wear the collar thingy so she wouldn't be able to reach the incision when I wasn't home. But she did very well. I was taking her for her walks again the next day...just no running.

Good luck! It will be over before you know and she will be back to her self. :D

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I've gone thru 3 female spays, and all of mine were definately a little woozy that first nite, but were back to being or trying to be, maniacs the next day.

Definately keep her toned down for a week, on leash only outside, I did no pain meds and mine were fine with that, I didn't use a cone because none of them bothered with their incision.

Keep an eye on the incision, it may look red, but you don't want to see flaming red, ooziness or allow licking..My first female had a reaction to a bad batch of gut stitch and had to be opened back up:(( That was YEARS ago tho..my aussie no problems, and Masi got "glued", which made me rather paranoid but worked out fine.

I'm sure your vet will go over all the 'do's' and 'don't's'

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Nikki was just spayed two weeks ago and you couldn't even tell she had surgery, she was ready to go when I picked her up. But we did a laparoscopic spay not the traditional.

She only has two small incisions and keeping her from licking them has been the hardest part. She did take some Metacam for two days after the surgery but she didn't show any signs of discomfort.

Good luck,
Michaela

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Spaying a female is definitely more intrusive than neutering a male. As already mentioned above expect wooziness the first night after that keep her on a leash when outside. You don't want her busting the stitches (they can be internal or external).

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Ask about the pre-anesthetic blood work, fluids, monitoring during surgery, pain management - there was a vet that always gave Rimadyl for that and I asked that it be replaced with something else. Also let them know any supplements she is on, or other meds. Ask if they do any clotting tests because German Shepherds are known to have clotting disorders.

The MDR1 thing is also something just to review with your vet: Drugs reported to cause problems in dogs that carry the MDR1 mutation. Information from the VCPL at Washington State University.

I want to know all of that before I think about home care. :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
We had bigger issues with Shadow's spay, because we didn't realize and either did the vet until oops to late surgery had started, she had just started or was starting her first heat. The vet kept her in over night after surgery just to make sure there were no complications. We went to visit her in her hospital pen, she looked very spaced out and she kept putting her paw up for me to hold.
Once home keeping her quiet for two weeks was the hardest, she was going stir crazy. Her stitches did look like she was cooking an infection and she lost one stitch, so back to the vet for meds and a cone.

Good luck with your pup.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
when we had Zena spayed, she was woozy and heavily drugged when we picked up her from the vet but she'd also managed to snap their leash in her drugged staggering stage when they took her out to potty the next morning. Picked her up the next afternoon and she spent the day sleeping. After that she wanted to be crazy and all over the place. She left her incision alone but didnt appreciate the two week restricted activity. She also didnt appreciate not being allowed on the couch for the two weeks just so we didnt have to worry about her opening her incision site up from jumping off. She was on pain meds the first two days home and after that nothing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sasha was spayed just this last Thursday. Our vet keeps spays overnight for observation as they like to keep a close on the dogs since a spay is invasive. I picked sasha up the next day around noon and she was reving to go we got home and she calmed down a little and slept but I didnt notice her being to woozy. We had them give her a pain shot but no pain meds to bring home.

We can even tell she had a surgery because she still bounces around everywhere. It has been hard keeping her calm in the house as she is already back to her normal self.

Right now she spends alot of time in her crate with a blanket or on a leash attached to myself or my wife so we can watch her.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I worried alot and took her back to the vet for check up lost a night of sleep but Gypsy never wimperd or acted like she was in pain even though she had some drainage. i'm sure the whole expearance was worse for me than her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts