German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like you guys' help. If you're tired of my dog threads, just ignore this one.

I have a strong desire to get a dog. I loved having a dog. I loved playing with her, feeding her, hearing her howl at night, and more. I would love a dog.

With my last dog, I was in college. The schedule was:

5:00 a.m.: 30 min to 1 hour walk
6:00 a.m.: Feed her breakfast, do a training session, clean out her pen, provide fresh water.
1:00 p.m.: Get home, take her out for a hour walk, do a training session, clean out pen, feed her lunch, provide fresh water.
5:00 p.m.: Take her out of her pen, walk for hour, do a training session, feed, clean out pen, provide fresh water.

I plan on having my next dog inside with me.

Since I'm experienced with having a dog in college, can I not make this work?

What would I have to do to make this work? Looking at that schedule above, what adjustments would I have to make with an inside dog?

I have the money and I definitely feel like I have the time. School would be the only thing I'd be doing.

I'm not asking whether or not I should get a dog, I'm asking what is required to make it work.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Why are you cleaning out the pen so much?
An inside dog would be crated. From 6 to 1 is a long time for a young puppy.
Are you now more available?
I recommend another short (bathroom) walk in the eveing at 8 or 9.
You don't mention your current availability nor the age of the dog you intend to get.
What happened to your last dog?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pen had to be kept clean.
Yes, I'm a lot more available now.
I want a 8 week old puppy.
I rehomed my last dog because I couldn't keep her inside with me.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
For me, if I were still a student, having an 8 week old puppy would be a HUGE distraction from my studies. I'd never get any studying done because I'd want to (and kind of have to) spend every spare minute with the puppy, or at least keeping a close eye on the puppy (very close, they can pee without a moment's notice!). Since college classes cost a ton of money, and failing them or getting a poor grade is essentially you wasting your money, I'd personally wait until I was out of school, had a job and a permanent residence.

But that's just me.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would like you guys' help. If you're tired of my dog threads, just ignore this one.

I have a strong desire to get a dog. I loved having a dog. I loved playing with her, feeding her, hearing her howl at night, and more. I would love a dog.

With my last dog, I was in college. The schedule was:

5:00 a.m.: 30 min to 1 hour walk
6:00 a.m.: Feed her breakfast, do a training session, clean out her pen, provide fresh water.
1:00 p.m.: Get home, take her out for a hour walk, do a training session, clean out pen, feed her lunch, provide fresh water.
5:00 p.m.: Take her out of her pen, walk for hour, do a training session, feed, clean out pen, provide fresh water.

What would I have to do to make this work? Looking at that schedule above, what adjustments would I have to make with an inside dog?

I have the money and I definitely feel like I have the time. School would be the only thing I'd be doing.

I'm not asking whether or not I should get a dog, I'm asking what is required to make it work.
I think that schedule would work beautifully for a dog, especially an inside dog that gets to hang out with you when you're sleeping, cooking, studying, or just watching TV. A young puppy might require more of your dedicated time for a few months but if you're keeping it inside it's just a matter of running him/her outside a bit more frequently. We always crate trained ours anyway so it wasn't like we had to spend every waking hour watching the puppy for possible accidents or chewing disasters.

It's been a while since I've had a young puppy (I have a 10 month old right now but we just got him) but your schedule above is similar to the schedule we had with or last young puppy with the exception of a few more trips outside. It's actually pretty close to our current schedule with one adult and one teenage dog. On weekends we tend to spend lots more time with the dogs if we are at home.

I think you'd be fine if you can still maintain something close to the schedule you used to have.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I got my puppy last summer, and I'm a senior in college right now, so I've had it for one whole semester of school--getting ready to start the second.

I wouldn't recommend it. But then again, if you don't have a job it should be doable. I have 15hrs of class including my adv lecture and capstone (last big psych courses) and on top of that work 30-35 hours a week at two restaurants just to pay the bills and feed him. Literally, and I can't stress how seriously I mean this--every second that I'm not at work or school I have to spend with my dog. He waits in the car while I grocery shop, drop bills off, I only see friends who I feel are comfortable with him in their house, I don't go out at night. Everything outside of school and work is committed to him.

P.s, I skipped his afternoon walk the other day for the first time ever because I had two finals and between classes I was studying instead of walking him--I got home before leaving for work and he had destroyed the bed in his crate! The FIRST thing he has ever destroyed in his life...it's not a coincidence that it's the day I skipped his walk. That's how committed you have to be.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Here is ours.

6am, wake up, shower, let dog out, off to work girl goes.
7am wake up, shower, greet dog, make coffee, play, feed, leave for work I go.

Come home, greet dog at 4. Play, walk, love. Potty.

Feed at 7:30. Bathroom at 8:30ish. Bathroom again at 11:30 before bed.

He is 9 months.

A young pup.. Bathroom a lot. At most every 6 hours. 4 would be perfect.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Does it have to be an 8-week old pup? What about a slightly older pup that wont require such extreme attention? Wont need to go out every hour on the hour, and every 4 hours at night? Like ... a 4 month old pup, or thereabouts?

I think you can MAKE it work with enough determination. The pup's life will have to come first for the first couple of months, at the very least ... but you can do it if you think you can!

Carol

·
Registered
385 Posts
Having spent a summer as a grad student, I can say it would be VERY HARD for me to have an 8 week old GSD puppy and still study, have a social life, and a job.

If you are determined to get a dog, I would definitely suggest an older and more mellow dog. Can you foster a dog to get a sense of how it would be for you to have one first?

I'm not saying don't get a dog, but I would say...don't get a puppy. The amount of time it would take to train it well would take up all your extra energy. You want to have time to spend with friends and to study without a crazy alligator puppy demanding your time and attention :)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Here is ours.

Feed at 7:30. Bathroom at 8:30ish. Bathroom again at 11:30 before bed.

BED AT 11:30 !!!! :shocked: Ahhhh, to be young again....

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Geez, I go to bed around 8:30 pm. I am a loser. :(

·
Registered
596 Posts
Haha, me and Rambo don't even go out for our last round of fetch until around 12 or 1am :D

OMG.:eek: haha im 26 and im WAYYYY asleep at that time. Only reason i even stay up till 11pm.... is because im skyping with my hubby who is in iraq... and i wouldnt even call it staying awake... my eyes are closed... and i talk... and always end up.... :sleep:... I feel so old... haha

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Heh, I stay up so late that I fall asleep sometime in the afternoon and get up at night around 10pm-12am. I just kept going to bed later and later, and now my sleep schedule is ruined. Being a student is great. :cool:

You can make anything work if you try hard enough.

I think the schedule is fine if you allow for more potty breaks, although I don't know why you'd be getting up so early.

Personally I don't have a schedule, and never really did.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Having spent a summer as a grad student, I can say it would be VERY HARD for me to have an 8 week old GSD puppy and still study, have a social life, and a job.

If you are determined to get a dog, I would definitely suggest an older and more mellow dog. Can you foster a dog to get a sense of how it would be for you to have one first?

I'm not saying don't get a dog, but I would say...don't get a puppy. The amount of time it would take to train it well would take up all your extra energy. You want to have time to spend with friends and to study without a crazy alligator puppy demanding your time and attention :)
But I don't have a social life. I don't go to parties, bars, and etc. I'm happy just staying home watching tv, getting on the internet, watching football, and reading.

I think I'm going to go to another breed. I would really like a siberian husky again. I really liked the qualities my former dog had.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I am in college, last semester I was doing 12 credits. I was in school about 14 hours a week (semester just ended). I don't work (well I do house work and dog work). I was 19 when I got Sigurd. I got my pup during the summer holidays, so I could deal with the puppy stuff without having to worry about class schedules and such (I don't have summer classes). That worked out really good. I think your schedule is good for a dog. Everyday seems different around my house in terms of playtime/feeding, but every single day at 4 pm he gets a walk. I am like you, don't really have a social life, don't go to parties or bars, etc. I am happy to stay at home with my Pup and do house things, I think that really helped my case (and yours), I have more time to spend and do things with my dog.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Agree with all others - you can make it work IF you realize how big a commitment and how much time and energy it will take to incorporate a dog into your life.

One thing that has not been mentioned yet, is that with a puppy or young dog, you will also have to plan on socializing him/her to the hilt. Taking him places and exposing him to new experiences. You cannot put this off if you are busy, tired, have finals coming up, etc. The socialization window is set, and much is lost if you don't take advantage of that developmental stage and do more with the dog than feed, cuddle, walk, play in your regular setting.

Plus, don't forget training classes!! Even if you have the skills and experience to train your dog yourself, classes are wonderful to help socialize pup to new environments, strange dogs and unfamiliar people. I had Schutzhund level obedience titles on my rescues, but I was still making time to take any new arrival to classes for the exposure and the experience.

So in addition to your schedule, and all the advice you already received, factor in the time to socialize and take your dog to dog classes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts