German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! New here! Bare we me as I'm slightly ignorant to the process.

I purchased a puppy this year. Born in Germany, came to a breeder here in the US at 10 weeks then I picked him up at 14 weeks. All the paperwork I have says "registered owner" and lists either the breeder in Germany or the breeder here in the US. How do I make myself the registered owner of the dog? Is that through the AKC? He is not yet AKC registered as I am still waiting to receive all the paperwork that is coming over from Germany (Pink Papers) (not sure what that means or how important they are).

Also, very dumb question...how can I find out what information comes up when his microchip is scanned? If it is not my information how do I go about changing that.

Thank you for your patience and help! 馃榿

Registered
You can contact AKC or go to their website to find the steps necessary for registration. You should have paperwork for the chip that allows you access to the account. Then you can see who is listed and make changes. If your name and contact information aren鈥檛 first, you want to put that there. Also your current vet鈥檚 name and phone number.

Registered
the breeder in the US and Germany need to submit paperwork and DNA to the AKC.

Who is the manufacturer of the microchip? You should have had all that information from the person you bought him from.

Registered
My guess is the vet that puts the microchip in will explain how the company that makes it handles registration. Usually a new owner can amend the information. My dogs were chipped by the shelters and they have a yellow tag that says they are chipped. Pet Microchip for Dogs and Cats | HomeAgain Pet ID & Recovery Service
Looks like you can do it right online. If the dog is already chipped any vet can scan for the chip and find the information about it.

Registered
There is no universal system for microchip information. The information they find will depend on what system they check. If the dog is foreign born, there probably isn鈥檛 information in any American system. I don鈥檛 know if you can add chip numbers to the systems since I鈥檝e never tried.

Registered
My working line has a European chip and we have full access to the data. It鈥檚 more common here now than it used to be, It is called ISO.

Registered
So did you contact the breeder you bought the puppy from?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts