German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I do when a dog comes at my dog and then gets aggressive? he is only 6 months...this happened on a walk and the owner just let his dog run at Ares and at first he was not aggressive towards Ares..but then he started his whole dominance thing so I yelled at him to get his dog..what I really wanted to do was to smack the guy for thinking it was ok. ????

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I would ask them to call their dog back. If they don't care I usually yell "Get your da*n dog off of mine or I'll kick him away!"
There was one occasion where I actually kicked a dog off of Indra. I know it was stupid because I could have been bit but rather me than a three month old puppy.
I know it's not the polite english way but sometimes you got to do what you got to do to protect your dog.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
this is a HUGE peeve of mine,,HUGE,,I get so po'd .

Accidents happen and I can certainly sympathize with that, however, to intentionally allow it,

I'm first pretty nice, and usually yell, PLEASE LEASH YOUR DOG!,, if they ignore me or say something stupid like "oh my dog is friendly"...I usually then say,,"well mine does not appreciate dogs in her face"..if they still ignore,,then I get a tad more hostile and say "I will NOT be responsible for your vet bills if your dog comes near mine"..

·
Registered
392 Posts
i have had to put up with the same thing. I live on a cul de sac, so in order to walk Riley I have to go past this guys house. he has three dogs, two small dogs and a larger mix breed. He apparently doesn't feel leash laws apply to him and he's also seemingly under the delusion that everyone enjoys his dogs as much as he does. Which would explain why he has no problem letting the dogs roam free and use everyone elses lawn as a toilet.

I've invested in mace and a small air soft pistol. I will do whatever necessary to keep these dogs away. I am 99% sure he doesn't even vaccinate them, let alone take them to the vet. (they lost an entire litter of kittens to fleas because he wouldn't take them to the vet. the cat got pregnant of course because it was allowed to roam free unaltered). one of the three dogs sent another neighbors child to the ER for a bite. I've watched one of them destroy another neighbors yard with trash after tearing the bag apart. and this was on another street in the neighborhood.

He will let them out, and head back in the house, so it's not even like he's out with them. I have no qualms about the methods I use. My own son has endured shots from the air soft gun (not at my hands of course, but while playing with other kids) and it's not much more than a quick sting. I'm hoping it's enough to stun the dogs and send them back to the yard. The mace is a last resort. but i'll use it if necessary. I do NOT want those dogs getting near Riley. We have had issue of them in our yard as well. the dogs are a major nuisance, and as murphy's law would have it, whenever animal control comes around, the dogs are inside. of course. :mad: No idea why they're around, unless someone else has had enough as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could tell that it really bothered him..a dog has ever acted like towards him and even though my six month old was the same size as his dog...Ares is still a puppy and is not aggressive. Im sure if had been older it might have been different. If my dog started to run at someones even though I know he is friendly I would go after him because that other dog might not be...that never happens to me though because he stays on a leash. Next time I might not be so nice..sad part is..it is not always the dogs fault..it is natural..so I would rather kick the owner.lol

·
Registered
392 Posts
the last run in I had with the neighbor, he apologized, but I gave him such a look.... worse then the ones I use for my kids (lol), I haven't seen the dogs running amok since then. I still plan to "carry" when walking. I've also resorted to driving to places to walk her. we get in a better walk and get even more car riding experience in so it's a good thing but it peeves me that I have to make such preparations just to walk in my own neighborhood.

actually, the major peeve is the fact that his next door neighbor is a cop. Who also has had to contend with the dogs in his yard. He does manage to confine his dog to the yard but turns a blind eye to the neighbor. thanks alot.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
What should I do when a dog comes at my dog and then gets aggressive? he is only 6 months...this happened on a walk and the owner just let his dog run at Ares and at first he was not aggressive towards Ares..but then he started his whole dominance thing so I yelled at him to get his dog..what I really wanted to do was to smack the guy for thinking it was ok. ????
After 15 years of dog ownership, I've come to know that my chance of changing other people and how they are with their dogs, isn't very good. Though sometimes if I am able to calmly explain an issue they will at least think about modifying what they are doing. Me getting mad and yelling in a panic rarely if ever makes anything better. Other owner gets mad. Other dog gets more whatever is the problem, and the WORST part is I then freak out my dog even if they had been calm initially.

What works best for me after I leave the situation and go home, is to calm down and come up with a better plan. Anger and yelling isn't a plan. It's a reaction that rarely if ever works for me.

If the same dog at the same house attacks, then I may not walk that way anymore. It doesn't matter that it's America and I should have the right to walk anywhere. If it's upsetting me and my dog, avoidance is just a better management tool.

Training (in group classes) and socializing the heck out of my pup. That way they have met SO many dogs they can put a 'bad' dog into perspective and know it's THAT dog at THAT house that's crazy. Not all black dogs, or all dogs period. Classes also give me a leadership role so my dog is used to looking to me and getting guidance from me in a new situation so they don't just over react and add to the problem.

I bought and watched the DVD Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas. What an eye opener for dog language and behavior along with things I can do quietly and calmly to either calm a situation or make it worse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts