German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Welcome! 7 months is a challenging age! There's lots of help in the training forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

Oh thank god! My adorable trainable angel has turned into a disobedient little devil that is nipping :-/ And he is always chewing at his paws....

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Welcome!!!

Our first GSD is now 15 months old and it does get better!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! When does it get better?! :p I love him dearly but his nipping disobedient phase is driving me insane! I grew up with GSDs but they were adults and well trained. This is the first GSD I'm raising myself and he is a quick and patient learner.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Not advice, just sympathy. Mine will be 8 months soon and I would like to know when it gets better too. He's nuts and it's so surprising when he was such a lovely pup!

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
Take a second look at him on his first birthday. Until that day: work him, exercise him and enjoy him. It does get better and better. At 15 months WD is the dog I have been looking and hoping for for a very long time. But I earned his perfection by working him almost 24/7. Oh wait..., he does snack on poop if he gets the chance.
Don't fall in the trap of thinking that neutering will get you off the hook.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha thanks Jessac! I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or not :p I know what you mean, the good and lovely pups must turn into the craziest dogs. Coop practically trained himself as a young pup, he was that good and patient and don't get me wrong when he is good now he is great, but when he is bad... he is a little demon dog with the height and weight of a bull!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wolfy I look forward to that day! I do try to exercise him as much as possible and I'm not sure if his nipping has come from a neglect of exercise through no fault. Unfortunately, he took an injury on his front paw that wasn't getting any better, so we had to keep him off it as much as possible for quite a while, he was miserable and I was miserable seeing his sad face. I'd say for just over a month the nipping has come in and if I tell him off he can sometimes bark or growls, mainly with me but never at guests. Apart from that and the disobedience he's not a bad dog! He isn't over protective of food or a large bone, he doesn't pull on walks and off the lead he comes when we call, he sits, gives the paw, rolls over, lays down, stays and we can leave him alone for longer periods now and so on, he rarely barks at people and is usually just nosy. I just feel his good qualities can be overshadowed by the bad behaviour he can display! Oh and no snacking of the poop luckily!! And I haven't even thought of neutering

·
Registered
290 Posts
Haha thanks Jessac! I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or not :p I know what you mean, the good and lovely pups must turn into the craziest dogs. Coop practically trained himself as a young pup, he was that good and patient and don't get me wrong when he is good now he is great, but when he is bad... he is a little demon dog with the height and weight of a bull!
Fleury was a biter as a pup - had my hands bloody and raw - but I had expected as much. But once I tuckered him out he was great - and super easily trained. I had read up on crate and potty training, etc. He had his moments for sure, but nothing like the sass I'm getting from him now. I guess I read up on the puppy stage and knew what to expect but missed the literature on the teenage stage! Unfortunately, I think we were just building his stamina as a pup because now we can go on a long hike, he naps for a while and then begging to play fetch in the back yard. We have him in puppy agility now too which gets a good three hour nap afterwards, but that's only once a week...

And yes, when he's being good and "on" he's awesome. Our trainer commented on what a nice dog he is and just gushes about him, so I'm hoping that he'll transform into that dog when he matures and his hormones mellow out (with training of course, although some magic dust would be nice). When he's being a butt head though, he really knows what buttons to push.

I have no misconceptions that neutering will fix any of it, but that doesn't mean I don't threaten him (jokingly) with the snip every so often.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Coop wasn't a biter as a pup, not until he began to teeth really badly to the point he was crying and he wanted to chew on anything and even then it was usually the table legs. Even now when he's biting it isn't leaving me raw it's just there and sharp if you know what I mean? Ahhh they have soooo much energy right? I can take Cooper out for over an hour a couple of times a day, come back each time and chase him around the table (He's loved it from a baby) and he sits down and snaps back up and is ready as soon as! Don't know how he does it.

I know what you mean, every time I took Coop to the vets they would comment on his temper and patience and how good he was. But when he pushes my buttons I threaten to have him snipped as well :p Especially when he REALLY pushes me at 5 in the morning! Cooper is like my huge baby who has to have a cuddle when he wants to, but when he is bouncing from the hall and off the bed and round again faster than a Tasmanian devil I'm at my wits and wishing for the calm adult he should become! Even though I often look at old videos and wish he was small again!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl will turn 7 months tomorrow. She is very well behaved and I receive positive comments about her when we're out and about.

I'm certainly happy about no having some of the problems I read about here when they get to be this age.

She is actually getting better. Her concentration is improving, her recall is becoming more reliable, and the biting has decreased since all of her teeth are now in. She's not as reactive as she used to be toward strangers (though she won't let you on the property if I'm not with her), and a small boy she used to bark at as a very young puppy allowed her to pet her just yesterday afternoon. She has stopped paying any attention to the neighborman and his wife. She used to get very upset upon seeing either one of them next door on their own property.

It was so bad at one point before I got her under control that we couldn't go to the back yard without a lead on for fear one of them would pop out the back door and surprise her. She would advance on the man and bark aggressively right on his own driveway.

Now, she will not even step foot on the concrete because I taught her the boundry line.

She is both house trained and potty trained.

I love these dogs. They are so stinkin' smart it's scary.

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
c.c. has he been to dog classes? That has helped me and WD a lot. I am a trainer myself but it is good to have the pressure of someone from the outside who doesn't see your adolescent dog as this darling "pup". I have him in classes constantly to keep up the socialization, commitment to trainng and for plain enjoyment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MichaelE I had the perfect pup that did nothing wrong, well behaved, well trained and positive comments about him wherever we went. We also have no aggression with him unless he feels I am in danger and he becomes protective and barks. However he is displaying the attempt to be a dominant male and in this he is trying his luck by being disobedient. This is where we get a little frustrated with him. I'm with you on how smart they are! They pick things up really quickly!

Wolfy, we haven't yet, but were thinking about it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts