German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am hoping someone could help me with a question of what to do. We had a litter of puppies. They are now ready to go to their new homes and most have. We have one left and her new owner is coming on the 21st.
When people came to choose their puppy we had them leave a deposit of $100. We told the new owner that the deposit was to hold their puppy till it was time for the puppy to go home.We also said that they would get their deposit back it anything happen to the puppy. (If it should die or the vet said that it would have major life long health problems.)But if they change their minds and they didn't want the puppy anymore they would lose their deposit. When they come to pick up their puppy they would pay the remaining balance.

Now here's my question.
A couple put a deposit on a puppy. We have been text back and forth. I've been giving them update and sending photos of the puppy. They were supposed to come pick up the puppy last weekend. And they never came. I called the phone number and it has been disconnected. I have not herd from them and i received no more texts. How long do I keep this puppy till I fine it a new home? And do I give them back their deposit if they ever contact me?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
How old are the puppies now?

Did you write them a receipt for the deposit outlining that is was non-refundable?

If they were supposed to pick up the puppy last weekend and they did not show, I would make every attempt to contact them and give them a deadline as to when you will hold the puppy until.

Did you get an email address? Do your txts go through?

If so, please let them know to contact you within 10 days if they are still interested in this puppy and that if they would no longer like to purchase the puppy you will find it a new home.

As far as the deposit is concerned, it is for the effort of now having to find a new home for this puppy to go to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did not write up anything. It was just verbal. (not very smart of me) I tried calling about seven times. It says that the number is temporary out of serveries or may not be receiving incoming phone calls. Sometimes the message is-The number you called is no longer in service. It bounce between those two message. They only gave me the one phone number and no e-mail. The number I text is the same number so I don't think it been received. But I will text again and give them a deadline. I am trying my hardest to contact them. But only having the one number and it not working is hard. And the puppy is 9 weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
951 Posts
IMPO I would only wait another week or so. After that if you still cant get a hold of them I would find a new home for the pup unless you want another dog.

IF the "new owners" show up and cause a problem I would return their money if for nothing else than to save you the head ache of it. People can get a little angry and you dont want to deal with that.

Its 100$ no big deal, that could be their thinking. Plus if they canceled their phone maybe they have fallen on hard times? Or maybe the just decided to bail on the dog.

The breeder we are going with asks for any where between $300 and $500 for a deposit. I think its harder to walk away from that kind of money plus is makes them REALLY think about the decision to get the pup to start with.

HTH and Good luck.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,368 Posts
I would do as narny suggests, IF your willing to hold the puppy one more week.

If not, sell him if you can, and if the 'depositers' call/show up, say hey you were supposed to pick him up on xxx day, I've calling / texting, and nothing, so I assumed something happened I sold him, here's your 100 back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your reply. I don't mine keeping the puppy another week. And I don't mine giving the deposit back. I just want to be fair and do the best thing for everyone involved.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,368 Posts
I think keeping him/her another week is really fair , and if they end up contacting you after you've found a home for the puppy, depending on their reasons for forgoing the pick up date will help you determine the refund issue. Your being more than fair and good for you:)

OK lets see a pic of this puppy please:))))
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,544 Posts
I think keeping him/her another week is really fair , and if they end up contacting you after you've found a home for the puppy, depending on their reasons for forgoing the pick up date will help you determine the refund issue. Your being more than fair and good for you:)

OK lets see a pic of this puppy please:))))
I vote with Jakoda :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
I know anytime I've been waiting to get a new puppy, nothing short of my own death would have stopped me from getting that puppy on time, or at the very least, contacting the breeder to let them know there was a problem and let them know when I would be picking up the puppy.

As far as I'm concerned, once I pick out a puppy, that puppy is mine and I'm responsible for it. Even if there were a death in the family, I would contact the breeder and have them hold the puppy for me or I would make other arrangements. Getting a new puppy is one of the more joyous occasions of my life.

Maybe that's just me though.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,219 Posts
I know anytime I've been waiting to get a new puppy, nothing short of my own death would have stopped me from getting that puppy on time, or at the very least, contacting the breeder to let them know there was a problem and let them know when I would be picking up the puppy.

As far as I'm concerned, once I pick out a puppy, that puppy is mine and I'm responsible for it. Even if there were a death in the family, I would contact the breeder and have them hold the puppy for me or I would make other arrangements. Getting a new puppy is one of the more joyous occasions of my life.

Maybe that's just me though.
That's me too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,028 Posts
Hopefully you got an address for the potential owners.

Send a certified/receipt requested outlining the attempts you have made to contact them along with the deadline for picking up the puppy.

You'll receive the receipt back hopefully showing it was delivered or if not, you'll receive the letter back along with explanation from the Post Office.

Either way, you are covered in showing you have made every attempt to contact them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,228 Posts
How well did you screen your new puppy owners? I just don't get that a breeder works this way when placing their puppies....letting them choose and no paperwork/with only $100 down? I hope they surface soon and will provide a great forever home. Do you have a contract when the pup leaves your kennel(first rights)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I didn't get their address.I never gave my address when putting a deposit on a puppy. I thought I had ask all the right question. I try to think the best of people. But it doesn't take much to lie either.
All the other new owner would come a visit the puppy at lest twice. These people didn't but they did live 4hours away.
If someone wanted two puppy at the same time. I would only sell them one. I would tell them two puppies is a lot more work and had a higher chance of being giving up. I also said having to dogs the same age could cost a lot due to being both senor at the same time. If someone ask for a deal. I would not sell them a puppy. In my opinion if you could not afford the puppy how will you afford the care they will and may need.
I would go though **** and high water to pick on my puppy too, And have. My husband had open heart surgery and a week later we went to pick up our puppy that we had put a deposit on.
I thought a $100 deposit was fair for everyone. I guess I was wrong.

I will put some photo's up. I just have to learn how.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,612 Posts
I know anytime I've been waiting to get a new puppy, nothing short of my own death would have stopped me from getting that puppy on time, or at the very least, contacting the breeder to let them know there was a problem and let them know when I would be picking up the puppy.

As far as I'm concerned, once I pick out a puppy, that puppy is mine and I'm responsible for it. Even if there were a death in the family, I would contact the breeder and have them hold the puppy for me or I would make other arrangements. Getting a new puppy is one of the more joyous occasions of my life.

Maybe that's just me though.
Count me in on this. It is so exciting to get the new pup, I can't imagine being a no-show. I'd have to be dead or unconscious or something awful to not be chomping at the bit to pick up my new pup!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,584 Posts
Anything could have happened.....anyone can only speculate at best.
Hold onto the puppy at least for another week (I would)....and continue daily to try to reach them. Screen *new home prospects* in the meantime...BUT EXPLAIN 100% to them, what exactly the circumstances are surrounding the puppy.

Health, death, finances....ANYTHING could be the reason for loss of communication regarding the original prospects....allow them the opportunity & extra time to regain contact with you. If they do not....at least you have done all that you could do, in good conscience....and still give the puppy a solid chance to find a new, loving home & family.

Just my opinion and simple advice.....
Best wishes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
951 Posts
One thing you might try... check face book! I am sure you have their name and the town they live in. If you have a husband and wives name it could be a little easier to find them. Facebook is the tool of the CIA! Use it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
I got Ianna after the guy who put a deposit on her never came to pick her up. Their loss, and definitely my gain!! She's been an awesome dog.

Turned out, the guy put a deposit on the pup without checking with his wife....when she found out, she said "You are NOT getting another dog!" He didn't bother letting the breeder know, and didn't return her calls. Like I said, his loss, my gain!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Sell the pup to someone else - If you ever hear from the people again, decide at that time if you want to return the deposit. Know that its very easy to argue that you are the damaged party due to their default, and the fact that they gave you a deposit in the first place is evidence of your verbal contract.
Whatever happens dont worry about it even for a second, you are in the right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
My personal opinion, they knew when the pup would be ready :headbang: They had every opportunity to call you and let you know something, surely someone would let them borrow a phone to call you. I would hold on to the pup another week and just see if they call, but I would not hold him/her any longer than that, because it is not fair to the pup to not be in his forever home and he/she is just going to get more and more attached to you and needs to be bonding with his/her new family. Always use a deposit agreement, and always state in the contract that the deposit is non-refundable, unless something should happen to the puppy (unexpected death,illness, ETC.) and if anything should happen to the pup that the deposit is transferable to another pup from the same litter or out of your next litter when available. The non-refundable deposit is for your trouble of taking the pup from being available and marking it as sold and the pup missing out on a potential forever home. Always be sure to screen very well, use your better judgement, if something seems fishy or strange, don't go for it or make any kind of deal/sale with them. You have to be very wary these days. If you refuse a sale to someone, there is nothing they can do about it and you can have your own personal reasons for doing it. It is for the best interest of the puppy. :paw:
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top