German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend went on vacation and left his 3 yo female GSD at the "dog hotel". He asked me to come to visit her to see how is she doing wile he is out of country. I returned home 3 days after dog was left at the "hotel" and immediately came to see her. Now...... I know her since she was a puppy, I saw and played with her frequently, I know that she likes me, every time I am visiting my friend and his house , she is all over me, licking my hands, face, playing with me..... She is not very friendly dog to others, but I am 100 percent sure she liked me.... When I came to visit her at the hotel she not only barked and growled at me, she looked like she never saw me in her life, she looked like a GSD from the old WWII movies about the concentration camps! She looked like totally different dog! The only think she wanted to do is to bite me, and she did when I tried despite her crazy look go to the cage to say hello. It's really scary site! I came back next day and one more time today, but unfortunately she became even more aggressive , attacking the cage door, growling and barking at me to the point that she had a drools coming out her nose!!! I tried to feed her with her favorite dog treats, but she won't touch them, I brought her toys from my friend house , she won't touch them either! Can anyone tell me what has happened to her? I am afraid now that when my friend comes back from the vacation she won't recognize him either. The owner of the the " dog hotel" looks like a good man, and I am sure he did not mistreat her in anyway. She is by her self in a pretty big room probably 10x5. She won't come out of it to go outside, she stopped eating , barely drinking water, she is not going to the "bathroom" for at least 30 hrs now and I am really afraid for her health ! Please if anyone ever experienced something like this with their dog , let me know . Thank You. Sam

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
This is not good! This dog is stressed to the extreme for being in boarding, and is just getting more stressed, and Whatever you do, do not put yourself at risk by going into the dog's run. Make sure that you and others are kept safe.

I'm not sure what you can do to help here. This is serious enough that I would contact your friend and ask her what she recommends. I have heard stories of people phoning their dog and talking to them, and that helped. For example she phones you on your mobile phone, and you put the phone close to the dog's ear, and she tells her dog to to outside and potty, to eat, to go lie down, and this soothes and calms the dog, and he is happy to comply. Or see if she would give permission for a vet to give the dog a sedative, just enough for him to calm down.

If it were my dog, I would want someone to let me know of the situation and try to help, or cut my vacation short and come back to tend to my dog.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You might also think about grabbing a dirty t-shirt from your friend's house. Sometimes being able to snuggle up with something that smells like home can help.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
She is terrified:( She will recognize him(her owner) and she will fly into his arms. I had a lab/dalmatian that I tried boarding once at the vet I worked for. No one could go near him, finally I sent my mom because he loved my mom and he wasn't happy seeing her either. By the time I got there he was shedding profusely in the back of the kennel. At first he looked at me like I was a figment of his imagination, then when he realized I was really there, he came flying to me with lots of kisses. I have not nor will I ever board any dog I own again. He looked pathetic and I don't even want to take that chance again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You ! I really hope that she will be back to normal, it's just breaks my heart to see her in such distress. Hopefully she will also remember me after my friend is back from the vacation!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts