German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone.

Just a little check on my pup's weight and condition (first time GSD owner, so there are always doubts).
At 4 months old he's topping 22Kg (~48lb) - probably slightly more since I haven't weighed him for a week. This is heavier than all the tables I've seen for a pup his age.
He's fed with a commercial raw mix (80/10/10) with a few veg, eggs, salmon once in a while to 6-8% of his body weight daily over three meals. Regular walks, fetch, tug, etc but not too strenuous (being careful with joints and all that).
I can easily feel his ribs with a thin layer of, presumably, fat on top. Individual ribs are not visible, but rib cage is well defined.
All his littermates are significantly under this weight, but different diet so not sure this is the best comparison.
Trying to add a few photos - apologies for poor quality, it's not easy to keep him still.

What do you think? Overweight, or normal?

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
Awwwww, what a handsome boy! I think he looks just fine. ❤

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
He's a beautiful, solid-looking boy. As you said, he's definitely going to be big.

My boy was right about that size at 4 months and grew like crazy up until 8 months. I was getting worried because my vet was looking at charts that would potentially put him in the 125-140 lb range as an adult. I don't think that's going to happen now, though, despite my vet's predictions. His growth began slowing greatly a month or two ago. He's still big (97 lbs at 10.5 months of age) but he's only gained a couple pounds in the past two months. I expect he'll top out at 110 or so.

So keep him as lean as you can now, but it looks like he's a big solid guy like mine and is going to be larger than expected.

Edited: one thing I wanted to add is that I was also feeding mine a mostly raw diet (combination of commercial raw, a little homemade raw, and one meal of kibble). I switched him to large breed puppy kibble exclusively around 7-8 months and his growth slowed down. May just be entirely coincidental that the growth slowed, but thought I'd mention it. I'll be transitioning him fully to raw in several months.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
Their growth always slows down at 8 months.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
He's a beautiful, solid-looking boy. As you said, he's definitely going to be big.

My boy was right about that size at 4 months and grew like crazy up until 8 months. I was getting worried because my vet was looking at charts that would potentially put him in the 125-140 lb range as an adult. I don't think that's going to happen now, though, despite my vet's predictions. His growth began slowing greatly a month or two ago. He's still big (97 lbs at 10.5 months of age) but he's only gained a couple pounds in the past two months. I expect he'll top out at 110 or so.

So keep him as lean as you can now, but it looks like he's a big solid guy like mine and is going to be larger than expected.

Edited: one thing I wanted to add is that I was also feeding mine a mostly raw diet (combination of commercial raw, a little homemade raw, and one meal of kibble). I switched him to large breed puppy kibble exclusively around 7-8 months and his growth slowed down. May just be entirely coincidental that the growth slowed, but thought I'd mention it. I'll be transitioning him fully to raw in several months.
@Catrinka, I may ask you this every time I see the size of your dog, but can you post a picture or link me back to where you have for me before? That's a big boy for 10.5 months. He shouldn't put on a bunch of weight after this but you never know

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
@Catrinka, I may ask you this every time I see the size of your dog, but can you post a picture or link me back to where you have for me before? That's a big boy for 10.5 months. He shouldn't put on a bunch of weight after this but you never know
Sure. These pics aren't great, but they're within the past month and sort of show his body (I'm assuming you're questioning whether he's chunky to weigh that much?). The vet office we go to is a father/daughter team. The older male vet thinks I'm starving him and he's too ribby (he's not, but you can easily feel them). The other vet, his daughter, thinks Luca is just where he should be.

And his growth has slowed greatly. He put on some more height a few weeks ago (now 28.25 inches) and he's only gained a couple pounds in the past 6-8 weeks. He'll be a year old the end of July. Do you think he'll add much more?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
No wasn't asking if he was too chunky, I just love the big(ger) boys :love:
He looks to be in fantastic condition, especially in the third pic; lean but not skinny. And a very handsome boy, he's what most people picture when they think "German Shepherd"

It's hard to tell when a dog will stop growing; sometimes it's 10% from 12-18 months, sometimes pretty much stopped at 8 months. Every dog, even within a litter can be different but you're smart in keeping an eye on his body condition and keep him on the lean side for at least the first 18 months.

Do you know how big his parents were?

As a benchmark for you, Rogan (currently 19 months) was
7 months 82 pounds
8.5 months 27" 100 pounds
12 months 28.5” 103 pounds
16 months 28.5” 105 pounds

So not much change (a bit of height) since 8.5 months. He's still filling out and may end up being a buck ten.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Do you know how big his parents were?
His dad is 90 lbs and mother is 80. Not sure if it makes a difference, but he was one of just three in a litter and breeder said he was about twice the size of the dam's usual pups (c-section necessary for delivery). He just continued to really grow huge those first months, but I'm hoping this is it (other than filling out over the years). He's wonderful but a little more dog than I was counting on!

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
His dad is 90 lbs and mother is 80. Not sure if it makes a difference, but he was one of just three in a litter and breeder said he was about twice the size of the dam's usual pups (c-section necessary for delivery). He just continued to really grow huge those first months, but I'm hoping this is it (other than filling out over the years). He's wonderful but a little more dog than I was counting on!
Me too, I admit I was looking for 90 and got a bonus dog ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts