German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking 'Cleo' is getting overweight but we have the opposite problem with out other dog so maybe it makes her look worse overweight in comparison. She was 81 lbs a few days ago and shes about 10 and 1/2 months. Thoughts/input, should we restrict her diet more?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
She’s perfectly fine.
Young dog, narrow ribcage, if you attempt to get any more of a waist, her hip bones would be protruding.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Eighty one lb female at 10 months?

Without seeing her structure, I’d say she might not yet be overweight, but she’s knocking on the door. Certainly, she’s on the larger size.

She’ll grow for a while, yet. Just monitor.

I’ve had four females - all between 66 and 73 lbs at adult stage.

Regardless, best of luck with her!

Reactions: REEHGE

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes she is pretty big, I guess she is closer to 11 than 10 months now but still thinking she may likely end up 90+ lbs all said and done? The narrow rib cage makes sense to me, never really thought of it that way. I've always thought she looks really good from the side but lacking tuck behind the stomach viewed from the top. Also when she was younger I thought she looked a little overweight and the vet actually said we could feed her more, like many things its not exactly a black and white issue with different body types etc...

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Yes she is pretty big, I guess she is closer to 11 than 10 months now but still thinking she may likely end up 90+ lbs all said and done? The narrow rib cage makes sense to me, never really thought of it that way. I've always thought she looks really good from the side but lacking tuck behind the stomach viewed from the top. Also when she was younger I thought she looked a little overweight and the vet actually said we could feed her more, like many things its not exactly a black and white issue with different body types etc...
Just curious .... what were the parents sizes?

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
like many things its not exactly a black and white issue with different body types etc...
exactly.
i weigh 135, but that means absolutely nothing unless you know my height.
i can also continue to wear the same clothes size +/- 10lbs depending on if i’m working out or not (lean muscle, etc)

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
exactly.
i weigh 135, but that means absolutely nothing unless you know my height.
i can also continue to wear the same clothes size +/- 10lbs depending on if i’m working out or not (lean muscle, etc)
“Without seeing her structure” ..... thought that covered it.

REEHGE. You do you. I’d watch the weight a touch. She’s a big girl, going to get bigger.

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
“Without seeing her structure” ..... thought that covered it.
sure it did.
i quoted the OP’s text because i was agreeing with & talking to the OP.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Hard to tell just from photos but the second pic, she doesn't appear to have the waist that I would prefer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts