German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I crate trained for the sake of my carpet etc but i would take Xander out to the toilet just before i went to bed (about 11.30pm) and then i had alarms set for 2.30am and 4.30am and then i was up between 6.30 and 7am anyway but it was the only way i could avoid him using his crate to toilet.
Now that he is almost 4 months old he will generally wake me up himself if/when he needs to go but i still have a 3am alarm set just incase he doesn't wake so i can get him up and send him to the loo. Id say in another month or so he may be able to go the whole night without waking hopefully!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Another thing i highly suggest is teaching her the phrase "go toilet" or "go wee's" etc!!
Keep repeating it while your outside with her until she goes and then really praise her. Its such a huge help being able to take them outside and tell them what you want from the. I literally open the door and point to the lawn and say "go toilet" to my pup and he knows exactly what i want him to do and off he goes and does his business. Its great when your in a hurry and have to go out and put them in their crate/run etc rather than having to wait for them to decide if they are going to go or not!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts