German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..
I'm hoping you can help me.. My 5month old pup is still having accidents in her 'bedroom' overnight. I feed her a good quality 'junior' dry food, twice a day, 6.30am, and again at 6pm. She does 'business' straight after eating, and does not have accidents in the house except overnight, or if I am gone to work. I come home usually in the middle of the day to leave her out, but occasionally can't get home.

She is left out at night with my other older dog, but if i go outside with her she just sits and looks at me instead of doing her business....

I haven't crate trained her, as I have never used crates with my previous dogs... PLEASE HELP.. is there anything I should do that I haven't. I'm unsure about crate training as there is also the expense of buying it???

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Do you feed her certain times? When does she receive her last meal? I know when my dog needs to do her cackie, I don't bring her back before she did it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi, my pup is 4 months old but he is crate trained. He is very vocal when he needs to go out and wakes me up. I get up once during the night to let him out and it seems to work out for us. Maybe try setting an alarm to wake you since your pup isn't crated? Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey...

I give her evening feed at 6pm, and she is left out a number of times until bedtime, usually at about 11pm?
I get up at about 6.30 am to give them breakfast and let them out before work....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys.. will set the alarm for 3am :eek: to let her out and see how we go... fingers crossed

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
You don't say which kind of accidents your puppy is having.

Take away food no later than 1900 and water no later than 2000. Take her out every 45 minutes until bedtime. She's old enough that you shouldn't have to take her out every 20 minutes like a very young pup.

Set your alarm for 0100 and 0300 and your usual rise time.

Six months and still having overnight accidents isn't good. Especially if there are no other accidents during the day.

When you take her out, you can't just 'let' her out and hope she goes. You have to stand there and watch her, tell her to 'go potty', and take her to the same spot every time, and don't go back in until she goes. If you do this consistantly it will begin to click with her and your potty problems will be over.

If you stand out there for five minutes at 0300 and she doesn't go, and you give up to go back to bed, I can guarantee you you'll find a mess in the morning and you will never get your dog housebroken.

No playing either. Potty trip only.

Welcome aboard from across the Pond.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good morning all...:)

Well today is a good day... woke up at 7am and came down to discover NO MESS!!! :wild: Woooo woooo :) A fluke I know but still....

MichaelE, thank you for your advice, but any time i try to stay out and wait with her she seems to sit and look at me and wont do anything!?

She usually has both accidents, soiling and wetting, and she always eats All her food straight away.

thanks guys.. will try to take all on board, and get up in the night and see if we can get through it..

Shonagh

·
Registered
334 Posts
If your not crate training I don't know how to help maybe don't give her anything to eat or drink 4 hours before bed

·
Registered
79 Posts
I crate trained for the sake of my carpet etc but i would take Xander out to the toilet just before i went to bed (about 11.30pm) and then i had alarms set for 2.30am and 4.30am and then i was up between 6.30 and 7am anyway but it was the only way i could avoid him using his crate to toilet.
Now that he is almost 4 months old he will generally wake me up himself if/when he needs to go but i still have a 3am alarm set just incase he doesn't wake so i can get him up and send him to the loo. Id say in another month or so he may be able to go the whole night without waking hopefully!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
If he just sits there staring at you, he doesn't know what he's out there for.

Put him on a lead and walk him around. Walking and running makes them want to go sooner. As soon as he goes praise him like it was the second coming and immediately go back inside.

Do this every time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Another thing i highly suggest is teaching her the phrase "go toilet" or "go wee's" etc!!
Keep repeating it while your outside with her until she goes and then really praise her. Its such a huge help being able to take them outside and tell them what you want from the. I literally open the door and point to the lawn and say "go toilet" to my pup and he knows exactly what i want him to do and off he goes and does his business. Its great when your in a hurry and have to go out and put them in their crate/run etc rather than having to wait for them to decide if they are going to go or not!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
If he just sits there staring at you, he doesn't know what he's out there for.

Put him on a lead and walk him around. Walking and running makes them want to go sooner. As soon as he goes praise him like it was the second coming and immediately go back inside.

Do this every time.
This, a thousand times this!

We are potty training a new pup with absolutely no potty alert whatsoever. I take her out every time she wakes up from a nap and if I'm not going to be in the room for longer than two seconds. She gets walked around until she pees. She gets the zoomies when she has to poo, but it can take up to another fifteen minutes of her zipping back and forth across the yard before she actually poos. I can't tell you how many accidents we've had because we've brought her in while she has the zoomies because she just hasn't pooed yet, just to have her squat in the middle of the living room not 3 seconds after we brought her in.

We praise her like she is the best thing on this planet.

We also don't feed after 9pm and we give no water after 10. Up until bed time, she goes outside every twenty minutes, then an hour before bed, we wear her out, let her on a long lead to zoom and do her business without me six feet over her shoulders, then another few minutes of play to celebrate an outside potty victory, then bed. By the time she climbs in her kennel, she's so tired she sleeps through the night.

Kennel training isn't too hard. I would buy a large or x-large kennel with a divider. Once you get it, slowly acclimate the pup to it by giving special "kennel treats" like a stuffed kong, a special type of bone, or a few jackpot treats. We start out with ten minute incriments during the day where they get kennel time with us out of the room. At night, we wear the pups out so much, they could care less they are actually enclosed in something.

Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't know how much my advice will help as I'm new to having a dog (4 weeks in from arriving at 8 weeks).

I started crate training day one. Although it is a hassel getting up multiple times throughout the night I've found it a great pleasure to know that he won't be roaming around at night causing havoc or danger to himself. When he's outside his crate I always have him on a lead to prevent him sneaking around a corner and doing his business unless I am in direct contact either playing or training him. At first he whined a lot as it was probably a shock being so bored with nothing to do (he has no toys in his crate). But I do feed him inside his crate to make it a little more comfortable with the surroundings and will dart into it when he knows his food is coming. When I take him out through the night to relieve himself it takes all of 2 minutes, after praising his 'potty' he knows exactly what to do when he goes out.

Even though I'm ignorant to any other way I would really recommend you getting a crate until your dog can comfortably hold it throughout the night. Right now she is comfortably relieving herself inside and may never understand she is to only do her business outside.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
And that is what you are trying to accomplish with potty training. Not just to go outside, but also, that it is NEVER acceptable to go inside.

Barring accidents they can't help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts