German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question about having a 1 year old German Shepherd. :) We rescued Cooper 4 weeks ago and he is settling in nicely. We are used to rescuing older dogs (age 8 and 5 at the time of rescue) and have never had a young one.

Is it normal for my boy to want to play all the time? Literally, all the time. :) If you take a break from him he does his high pitched "I wanna play now" bark. I am asking as it is starting to freak my kids out a little (they are 8 and 12). They play with him, but at times he has started to grumble if they get too close. By grumble, I don't mean a snarling growl. I don't think he is showing aggression as he is always greeting the kids and giving them smooches. Could it be that he is just a playful pup and all he wants is to play?

Ideas? Suggestions? Comments?

·
Registered
120 Posts
haha! My pup isnt a year yet, but we are part of a local german shepherd group and there are lots of 1 to 3 year old GSDs. OH MY GOODNESS, apparently the energy level INCREASES after 6 months old lol

Yes I think your dog is completely normal! Even adult german shepherds are playful, but especially the young ones. A year is still very young. Huter is not quite 5 months old and he does the "grumble" and then bark when he's excited and getting ready to play. He's been known to bark at me continually if he wants to play and I'm busy. We've been working on the "quiet" command. I say quiet and every time he complies, he gets a treat and belly rub. He's picking up on it really fast, and i'm using less treats. We also do "gentle" so that he learns how to play a little less rambunxiously. This is really good now for meeting children or smaller/younger dogs. There is a time and place for the crazy hyper play, but not every second of the day while I'm trying to get stuff done and not with every person. He's learning both quickly. It gives him boundaries for play and he learns that if he settles down a little, he gets more frequent attention.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, CurvyOne! It makes me feel better knowing that shepherds are silly crazy! His bark is high pitched so I know he is playing. He has also taken to grumbling when he wants something and we don't comply. I laugh to myself as it reminds me of a kid rolling their eyes or talking back under their breath.

I will try the quiet command once we get the others down as we are in doggie school. He was in the pound for 3 months and than an outside dog previously so he is just learning. It's like having an 80 pound pup! He is a sweetie, though.

Your Huter sounds adorable!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts