German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is so information out there as far as how much is too much exercise for our puppies so please answer the following. We have 4 month old German Shepherds and we took them for a 4 mile walk in the early morning and now one of them is exhibiting some rear leg pain. Took her to the vet and she tore a pad in the front but back leg still bothering her. Vet did not xray but seems to think she is ok? Did we overexercise her? Should we get xrays? Could this be growing pains? Thoughts and comments are welcome?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
A 4 mile leashed walk should be fine for a 4 month old puppy provided they've been working up to that distance gradually. Even if they haven't they might be sore but shouldn't be limping. I'd say to put her on crate rest for a few days and if the limp doesn't go away then you should go back to the vet and her reexamined and x-rayed. It could be pano or something else.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowA 4 mile leashed walk should be fine for a 4 month old puppy provided they've been working up to that distance gradually. Even if they haven't they might be sore but shouldn't be limping. I'd say to put her on crate rest for a few days and if the limp doesn't go away then you should go back to the vet and her reexamined and x-rayed. It could be pano or something else.
As BowWowMeow said you have to make sure you work up to the 4 mile distance gradually.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Yeah it is like humans, someone who is a couch potato would have a heck of a time doing a hike, you start around the block and work your way up and up, Jesse has been training slowly up since he was 2 months old now he is almost 8 months so this summer he has been swimming and 2-3 good walks every day, so when we finally go camping in August and September he will be able to handle the hiking we will be doing.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Originally Posted By: PatriceThere is so information out there as far as how much is too much exercise for our puppies so please answer the following. We have 4 month old German Shepherds and we took them for a 4 mile walk in the early morning and now one of them is exhibiting some rear leg pain. Took her to the vet and she tore a pad in the front but back leg still bothering her. Vet did not xray but seems to think she is ok? Did we overexercise her? Should we get xrays? Could this be growing pains? Thoughts and comments are welcome?
i don't this for a fact but i think 4 miles is a bit much for a 4 month old pup. what kind of surface were you walking on? she could of stepped on something to tear a pad. did you notice during your walk that she was having a problem walking? when my dog was 11 weeks old and we walked from his puppy class which is 1 mile from our house and his pad had abrasions. he stopped walking and laid down. a mile walk was to much for him and the abrasion was from the concrete. he was always in the woods or in our back yard so his pads were soft. i started taking him for short walks on the pavement to toughen up his pads. definitely stop the 4 mile walks and get x-rays. hopefully it's just pano or mabe 4 miles is to much for her. did you build up to walking that far?

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
how much exercise can be an individual thing at all ages. just like humans what is not enough for some might be to much for others.

working up to distances is certainly a more practical approach with a young pup. because its an individual thing at a growing age 4 miles might be a bit much all depending on the growth rate, bones, muscles, tendons maturing differently. therefore, being aware of signs of overuse tells you 4 miles might be to much. so, rest and adjustment of distance usually will help. as said above, if the signs continue futher investigation is warrented.

debbie

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
My pups could all easily do 4 miles at 4 months. And that was off leash. So the distance, for a puppy that is fit and healthy shouldn't be a problem.

Here's an article with info how UNDER exercising can cause a ton of problems the first year:

http://www.showdogsupersite.com/hips.html

There is another situation that comes up in many of our GSD's called pano ( http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/9911/pano.htm ) kind of like growing pains.

Rest for a day or so and aspirin fixed up my pups and they'd be rarin to go again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Me and my 4 month old do four miles a day and she loves it. Some times we'll split it into 2, but usually it's one long walk. She's been building up distance every since we started walking every day (2 mos) and 4 miles is no problem.

Your dog will tell you when she's had enough, and after that just don't push her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts