German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 11 month old GSD puppy named Duke. He is currently 28'' at the withers and is 106lbs.

A little background on the pup. I bought him for a graduation present for myself from a breeder tha had a American line Dam accidentally mate with a German line Sire and Duke is was the biggest of that litter. The sire was 115lbs and the Dam was around 70-80lbs if my memory serves me correct, both of working lines. At the time I had very little knowledge about GSD's and didn't have the cash to get one from a high end breeder. I understand this was a mistake, I wish I would have found this forum sooner. He is current on his shots.

Duke is very social and regularly exercised until he is tired. This is accomplished by either running along side me in the woods or fetch. When gone he stays in my fenced backyard (roughly an acre). Sometimes we even wrestle (playfully) but only when I initiate it and Duke knows when we are done (bad idea or not?). He is very smart, obedient and plays well with other dogs and surprisingly agile for his size. My only complaint is that sometimes when I get home he will try and jump on me because he is so excited. He is getting better about it, but I can't quite completely break him from this habit. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Back to my main concern. Is he over weight? Based on my best judgment he looks okay but I want to be sure to prolong his life span and prevent hip displaysia and 106lbs seems verylarge. If pictures are necessary to confirm either way I can provide them.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Wow--sounds really heavy for an 11 mo old pup. Mine male is 12 mos, the same height and weighs 80. How does he look? Can you feel his last ribs and see a 'waist'?

·
Registered
330 Posts
The best way to tell if they are overweight or not is to feel their ribs, if you can easily feel all his ribs, but not see them, then he is healthy. If you have a hard time feeling his ribs, then he might be over weight. Pictures would be helpful and appreciated!

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
What are you feeding him? And is he getting mentally exercised? You can track him with his meals, do obedience with his meals and get him into a venue where he isn't just physically exercised.
Personally, I would say without pics that yes he is overweight for a puppy of that weight. My female is 26" and 90#, she could lose a few IMO. My male is 27 and 93# and perfect weight. If you want an agile dog that can go and go and go, then keep him lean(or skinny according to most opinions). You can always get a dog to gain, very hard to get one to lose unless there are medical issues that make the gaining impossible!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Post a pic if you can. You should be able to easily feel his ribs under the skin. Personally I like to see the last rib or two when the dog is in motion. He should have a noticeable waistline from above and from a side view.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Arlo be a year old next month. He was right near 100lbs Before Parvo took him for a ride. He was perfect looking but still growing.

As long as they healthy looking I don't see a problem. Arlo was pure muscle with no fat on him but loose skin around his neck. He was strong too. One day I couldn't even hold him back on a leash. Took both my girlfriend and I to keep him from tearing an aggressive dog to peices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know this isn't the picture desired, but its the only one I have of him with his current weight and should be able to give you a picture of his bone structure. I'm working on a broadside shot and should have it up shortly.
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cannot see his ribs but I can feel them individually. Hopefully this picture will suffice to determine whether or not he is overweight. This picture was taken immediately after eating if it matters.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i think he looks fine. He does sound like a large boy but from what i can tell from the pictures, he's at a decent weight for him. But like i said, thats what i can tell from the angles of the second picture and the first picture he doesnt look like he "spreads out" so i'm not concerned. He looks pretty sleek and healthy.

·
Registered
852 Posts
He looks muscular not fat. He is very handsome.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Great dane German shepherd lol

Very big puppy for the age , definitely not over weight he has just got his other breed of a dog's size but the gsd colours and looks(sort of)

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Great dane German shepherd lol

Very big puppy for the age , definitely not over weight he has just got his other breed of a dog's size but the gsd colours and looks(sort of)
There is no other breed of dog. The owner said this is a pure GSD, just a big one.

·
Registered
32,036 Posts
Just keep his weight under control and don't do any jumping (or any sport) that would put excess strain on his joints until he is done growing like we all should do. :)

Being large boned doesn't mean he'll have anything wrong with him. He's a big handsome guy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts