German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at Petco today and saw that Acana has a new variety: kibble for rescue dogs! Where does it end?

·
Registered
500 Posts
That's pretty astonishing. Maybe it deters people from being critical readers of actual ingredients lol. Not picking on that brand, but marketing teams seem to imply people are too dumb to understand even the basics.

·
Administrator
10,058 Posts
i don’t disagree that it’s mostly marketing…. but looking at the common ailments that rescue/shelter dogs experience - weak immune systems, poor skin/coat, poor appetite, GI upset, inconsistent stools, nervousness, etc, especially during the transition period - is not the worst thing to try a food that’s attempting to target these areas, “while also giving back”. also seems to be a milder food as Acana’s other formulas might be too rich for a dog to transition to after eating….. i don’t know, donated Iams.

from the website, bolded by me:

ACANA® Rescue Care for Adopted Dogs is a delicious, nourishing kibble that was specially crafted to help support a shelter dog’s transition from the adoption environment to their forever home. Our Free-run* Poultry, Liver & Whole Oats Recipe Goes Beyond the 1st Ingredient™ with fresh or raw poultry balanced with fruit, vegetables and whole oats to help nurture your new dog. Developed from shelter research in partnership with the ACANA in-house veterinarian, ACANA Rescue Care for Adopted Dogs supports the needs of rescues while also giving back. For every bag purchased, a meal is provided to a shelter pet in need!

• The first two ingredients are high quality chicken ingredients
  • Includes prebiotics and fiber to help support digestion
  • With antioxidants to help immune support like vitamin C (ascorbic acid), vitamin E, Omega-3, DHA & EPA
  • Added bone broth for irresistible flavor
  • Contains chamomile
  • Omega 3 & 6 help support skin & coat health
i get it tho… an eye roll seems in order, but, still not at the top of my list of things that bug me.

·
Registered
355 Posts
i don’t disagree that it’s mostly marketing…. but looking at the common ailments that rescue/shelter dogs experience - weak immune systems, poor skin/coat, poor appetite, GI upset, inconsistent stools, nervousness, etc, especially during the transition period - is not the worst thing to try a food that’s attempting to target these areas, “while also giving back”. also seems to be a milder food as Acana’s other formulas might be too rich for a dog to transition to after eating….. i don’t know, donated Iams.

from the website, bolded by me:

ACANA® Rescue Care for Adopted Dogs is a delicious, nourishing kibble that was specially crafted to help support a shelter dog’s transition from the adoption environment to their forever home. Our Free-run* Poultry, Liver & Whole Oats Recipe Goes Beyond the 1st Ingredient™ with fresh or raw poultry balanced with fruit, vegetables and whole oats to help nurture your new dog. Developed from shelter research in partnership with the ACANA in-house veterinarian, ACANA Rescue Care for Adopted Dogs supports the needs of rescues while also giving back. For every bag purchased, a meal is provided to a shelter pet in need!

• The first two ingredients are high quality chicken ingredients
  • Includes prebiotics and fiber to help support digestion
  • With antioxidants to help immune support like vitamin C (ascorbic acid), vitamin E, Omega-3, DHA & EPA
  • Added bone broth for irresistible flavor
  • Contains chamomile
  • Omega 3 & 6 help support skin & coat health
i get it tho… an eye roll seems in order, but, still not at the top of my list of things that bug me.
I do like the one bag donated for each bought. With the amount of money these dog food corporations are making, they should be doing this with ALL bags sold imo

·
Registered
300 Posts
I agree with the "mostly marketing" approach.
As to the problems that most rescue dogs have, the list of possible ailments as provided in Fodder's post #7 also appear in many companion dogs in well-cared for homes. Ailments can often be attributed to the feed they eat, which many times is kibble.
The bag label I brought up was the red meat variety. They list 'beef' then the next 7 ingredients are questionable. Then followed by several not bad to potentially good ingredients. But by this time, I am reminding myself these are listed in descending order. By the time you get to 'salt' on the list, everything after that is in so insignificant amounts as to be a token to maybe catch your eye and think more good things are in there. Then in that list look to see how many vitamins and minerals are added back and ask yourself why do they have to add back nutrients that should have been in the ingredients as listed? This is generally because the ultra-processing involved in kibble basically robs the nutrients from the original ingredients.
A last note. This product contains 31% carbohydrates as listed by them on the bag. A dog's carbohydrate need is zero.

·
Registered
781 Posts
For every bag purchased, a meal is provided to a shelter pet in need!

I do like the one bag donated for each bought. With the amount of money these dog food corporations are making, they should be doing this with ALL bags sold imo

Not quite a bag donated, just a meal.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Darn, I misread. Wishful thinking, I guess. I wonder what constitutes a “meal”.

·
Administrator
10,058 Posts

lol, splitting hairs….
i mean, next we’ll be asking if the “meal” is equal to a half cup for a chihuahua or 4 cups for a great dane 😂

Reactions: Zeppy

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I think any good quality dog food is necessary for shelter dogs. I remember Ellie looked like she'd been through the wringer. So thin every bone stuck out (47 lbs)and her coat was ragged. She also had pannus. Poor girl was in bad condition. But 6 months or so later I looked at her and she had packed on a few curves, her coat was shiny and she was coming off the daily medication for the pannus. We only fed her what we fed Jake, which was probably Purina One.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts