German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that my almost 4mth old pup has a slight over shot bite. It's been a while since I had a pup but never had one with an incorrect bite; will the bite correct itself as she finishes growing or will it remain?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Gunny has a slight over bite until the last month or so. He will be 10 months on the 4th of May. His incisors had a very slight gap until now. I would not worry. If it is under 1/16 gap, I think, it is not considered an "over bite or over shot" bite. Conformation people and breeders should be able to tell you for sure. But I wouldn't worry unless you see it getting worse as the adult teeth come in and the canines don't line up correctly.

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
I had a Mal in the past and she had a huge overbite at that age (but not as an 8 week old) which corrected itself to a beautiful scissor bite all by itself. But of course I worried about it until that time came. First it's the ears, then the teeth, then the gait etc. It's more relaxing to get an adult mutt out of the shelter who is what he is, no expectations to live up to.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a Mal in the past and she had a huge overbite at that age (but not as an 8 week old) which corrected itself to a beautiful scissor bite all by itself. But of course I worried about it until that time came. First it's the ears, then the teeth, then the gait etc. It's more relaxing to get an adult mutt out of the shelter who is what he is, no expectations to live up to.
Can a pup develop an overbite before it is fully grown or is it noticeable early on?

Would the breeder have spotted this?

It's good to know that your Mal's bite corrected itself; then there is hope for my pup.

At least with the ears, we can assist them if they fail to stand erect but not sure anything can be done with helping the bite to form correctly.

She is a working line, so she won't be shown but I still prefer her to be correct in all aspects.

Time will tell, I guess.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Can't say I know for fact but I have heard the jaw is the last part to stop growing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts